macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Small yet important issue
    Tool window
    Hello everyone, Great to see a new forum founded for logic. I have a few questions. Excuse my English, i am dutch. Does anyone have problems with a Focusrite 26pro and a mac G5 2.3GHZ 4.5 RAM? When i turn the focusrite on, sometimes the mac crashes, or goes black, while staying on, to start up automaticaly when i turn the focusrite off again. Or the other way around, when the focusrite won't start, and the little light on it stays dark. A bit difficult to describe because it varies. Another question: Is it possible to open a pop up screen in wich you can directly select a tool, like scissors, eraser, pointer etc. I have to use a Wacom pen/tablet for RSI reasons. Wich goes great by the way, but i must say i don't this new way of accessing the tools a better way to use than it was in logic 7, in fact much worse. You can't change it quickly, only choose from two at a time. Thanks B
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Tool window
    Hi Small yet important issue, For your first question...I'm not experienced with the Focusrite 26pro... but what version of OS X are you running? Do you have the latest drivers or updates for the interface? 2nd question: By pop up screen, if you mean a permanent tool box a la Photoshop, then unfortunately not (this wouldn't be great as the tool box is different for each editing window).. However, did you know that you can bring up a floating toolbox wherever your mouse cursor is by pressing ESC? To close it again press ESC too. In fact if you have the scissors tool as your primary tool for example and want to reset to the pointer tool double clicking ESC will reset it... Furthermore, you can set the right button on your mouse or er... pen(?) to open the tool menu. In Logic, choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Global [Editing] and you can set the right mouse button to open short menus, open the tool box or assign it to a tool (giving you three assignable tools!) Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    Hi, Here's a quote I've found on the Focusrite website : [b]Sometimes the Apple CoreAudio driver has difficulty connecting to the Saffire PRO 26 i/o. If this happens, it may cause the Mac to crash when re-setting the unit. If you find that your Mac is crashing when you connect the Saffire PRO 26 i/o, then you will need to have the Saffire PRO 26 i/o attached to your Mac and turned on before powering up your Mac. Alternatively you can put your mac to sleep when attaching the Saffire pro 26IO then wake it up. This issue will be fixed in a future release of OSX (post 10.4.8).[/b] Make sure you update your Mac OS X software using Software Update. Also, as Rounik suggested above, download the latest driver for your audio interface. It's available here : [url]http://www.focusrite.com/support/software/saffire_pro_26_io/[/url] Christian
    Well thank you for responding. I haven't found the info you found on the focusrite site, but that is my fault. Thank you! I did use the power up the focus before the G5 thing, cos it reminded me of a similar problem with a scanner. Great to hear that the problem will be adressed soon in an update. BG
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi again, I just had an extra thought about selecting tools... You can assign a key command to select each tool as your primary tool. Just type in the name of the tool in the key commands window and set the key command for it! Cheers Rounik
    Hello Rounik, I didn't realize that my topic title would be my name, but in fact i quitte like it. Small-yet-important-issue, like an Indian's name. Anyway thanks for the tips, i will use them. I did not know about the esc key to summone a window with tools. That's all i wanted. No need for keyboard shortcuts. You wrote pen(?)... You must have seen these before? They are widely used in graphic design and to prevent rsi. It's more precise than a mouse. you can adjust the little button on it to be right mouse click and just pushing it gently on the tablet is the same as left clic, double click is the same too. I cannot work with a mouse for more than a few minutes and i start to get cramped fingers, quitte painfull. With a pen i have no strain what so ever. (i have no stocks in wacom, really not :-) Anyway thanks for your advice. BG
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh yeah, I know the pen... my partner loves her wacom tablet and pens... always trying to convert me over to the RSi-free side, but I've never taken the time to get used to it. Quite simply I lose control of the cursor far too often and miss my mouse and trackpad! Glad you're liking the Esc key trick... You can even Press Esc and then a number/letter that relates to the tool in the pop up toolbox. Thanks, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: