macProVideo.com
Forums
  • les Parker
    setting up the network for logic node
    so, there i was with my big duo core laptop and my little duo core laptop cabled up with the ethernet cord, pretty much expecting plug n play (that would be SO mac-like). no problems loading the node app onto the slave. no problems finding the right pref pane or following any of the stuff in logic on the TNT or in the fat manual, but left hanging on specifics about how to set up the mac to mac net via ethernet wire. i know how to do it via wifi but can't find a window in network sys prefs to dial it in. going to online help, which is all the manual offered reveals no specific item regarding the node deal. the system prefs setup assistants all seem to be looking for the internet. and the nearest genius bar is 300 mile round trip! love my TNT and steve who got me started at one of his 3 day shows in the big city.
  • steveH
    Re: setting up the network for logic node
    Hey Les! Scott's going to reply to this networking question tonight! Keep checking!
  • Vawymia
    Hey, Les. I decided not to talk about how to network two Macs together in my guest TNT since it differs slightly depending on the version of the Mac OS you are running. However, I found an article for you on how to network your two Macs together. You can find it at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/321526/how_to_connect_two_macs_using_ethernet.html. There are a bunch of other articles also if you Google "how to network two Mac" depending on what version of Mac's OS you are running. The key is to use a CROSSOVER cable. It's slightly different than a normal Ethernet cable (some wires are (ahem) crossed). Once you've connected the cable, make sure you turn on File Sharing for both computers and turn off any software firewalls. That should assign an IP address to each computer. From there, Logic and Logic Node should recognize each other. If you have already have a home network that uses an Ethernet switch, everything should be good to go. Make sure that the switch is a 1 Gigabit switch and that each computer is Gigabit ethernet capable. Let me know if that gets you up and running.
  • les Parker
    thanx for the tip on the cable. that may do it. i don't use an ethernet switch (wifi), but i can sure get one if it's required. but it does work just mac to mac right? i'll try to get the cable somewhere out of the mountains over the weekend. thanks again.
  • les Parker
    ok, well, i got a gigabit ethernet switch, cabled everything up, got logged on to the logic mac book pro from the macbook, lauched logic node on the mac book, launched a logic project on the pro base machine and opened the audio prefs to nodes and enabled logic nodes and... nada. the other machine does not appear in the node menu. file sharing is turned on in both units. also tried it with the two units cabled up direct. ditto. talked to a guy at the mac store in albany who advised me to make sure i logged in as the admin rather than a guest. ditto. what else?
  • Vawymia
    A couple of things to look at. First, make sure the two computers can see each other on the network. If they can't, you have a networking problem -- not a Logic problem. The easiest way to do this is to look in the Finder. In both Leopard and Tiger, you should be able to connect from the first computer to the second. (In Tiger, you have to look for it; in Leopard it just shows up.) Second, make sure both computers are updated to the latest version of Logic. If the two computers are running different versions, they won't see each other. You should be on 8.0.2 on both machines. Third, use Apple's Disk Utility (in the Applications->Utilities folder) to Repair Disk Permissions on each computer. It's kind of the tech support cop out, right before reformat your hard drive :-), but sometimes it does fix the problem. Try these things and let me know how you make out.
  • les Parker
    [quote:51381]First, make sure the two computers can see each other on the network. yep "Second, make sure both computers are updated to the latest version of Logic. If the two computers are running different versions, they won't see each other. You should be on 8.0.2 on both machines. " per the instructions i'm not running logic at all on the slave machine. only the node app which i installed from the logic 8 install disk. there is a 7version of logic on that machine, but it is not launched. "Third, use Apple's Disk Utility (in the Applications->Utilities folder) to Repair Disk Permissions on each computer. " ran the utility. still no joy.
  • Vawymia
    Gee, Les, I'm stumped. Just to be clear, you DON'T need Logic on the slave machine, but you do need Logic Node 8.0.2. Double check the version number of Logic on the master and Logic Node on the slave by highlighting the icon and choosing Get Info from the File menu. If they are not both 8.0.2, run Software Update to get the latest version. The only other thing I can think of is that the version of Logic 7 (preferences, etc.) on the Slave may be interfering with Logic Node. If all else fails, try removing Logic 7 and all of its support files completely from the slave machine and reinstalling Logic Node. After that, I'm fresh out of ideas. I've trolled around the message boards to see if there are any listings of similar problems, but I didn't find anything other than the hints I already mentioned. You may have to brave the Apple telephone help line.
  • les Parker
    [quote:51381]Gee, Les, I'm stumped. Just to be clear, you DON'T need Logic on the slave machine, but you do need Logic Node 8.0.2. Double check the version number of Logic on the master and Logic Node on the slave by highlighting the icon and choosing Get Info from the File menu. If they are not both 8.0.2, run Software Update to get the latest version. already done "The only other thing I can think of is that the version of Logic 7 (preferences, etc.) on the Slave may be interfering with Logic Node. If all else fails, try removing Logic 7 and all of its support files completely from the slave machine and reinstalling Logic Node. " my L7 was on both machines and i bought the upgrade. if it lets me, i'll run the upgrade on the second machine & see if that works. thanks for all the help.
  • les Parker
    well, i ran the upgrade, and still nothing... BUT! i forgot to check for online upgrades to the upgrade. at the end of the week when my machines automitacally sweep for upgrades there was a logic update. after lodaing that.... the node appears in the node menue! and can be selected etc. so.. at least if there is a version of logic 8 on the node machine it aappears to require that it be exactly the verssion of logic 8 on the master mac. however.... now that the connection is all there, when i run a song that hits my duocore really hard, enen into the red, there's no offload goin' on on the cpu meters. it's a song with 12 tracks, afew aux buses, lots of eq and compression and some chorus delay multipress etc and the main cpu is hitting at least 50% all the time with some spikes into the red zone. thanx
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: