macProVideo.com
Forums
  • shadowrunner20
    I need help: Moving audio/midi regions mutes entire project
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, and am not sure if this question has already been asked, but here goes. I'm having a problem when I'm working in a project. Basically, whenever I move any audio region along the time line or between tracks, it suddenly results in no sound being played back(as if all the tracks were muted, and this is not the case). However, if I were to undo moving the audio/midi region(s), then the sound plays back without a problem. I never had this problem until I started using a Motif Rack XS. I should also say that when first starting a new project and saving it, everything works fine. However, when I quit Logic Pro 8 and open up the project again, that's when I start to encounter these problems. I read somewhere through the Apple Support forums that it had to do with the project file being corrupted. I'm not sure whether or not this is true because after doing what was suggested (exporting all tracks as audio files, saving the channel strips setting and importing the audio files into a new project), I am still having the same issue in a new project. Does anyone know how to resolve this so that I am able to arrange audio/midi regions without having to worry about this happening? Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: I need help: Moving audio/midi regions mutes entire project
    Hi Shadow Runner, That does sound strange... 1. Can you list your system spec, including your mac, OS version and Logic version. :-) 2. Have you downloaded the latest updates for the Motif? 3. Does this happen in the same and new projects when you disconnect the Motif? 4. How are you moving the regions... using key commands or dragging? 5. Does it happen when you copy regions too? 6. check your key commands: (Option-K) and type in mute - is there a key command for "mute all"? Cheers Rounik
  • shadowrunner20
    Hi Rounik, Here are the answers: 1) iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme, 2 GB RAM, Leopard OS 10.5.4, 750 gb HD, Logic 8.0.2 2) Yes 3) Well, what I've noticed is that the incident only happens when I use the Motif Rack in a project (regardless of whether or not I convert the midi into audio regions). I noticed this didn't happen when I didn't use the Motif Rack in another project. But yeah, if I used the Motif Rack in a project, and then later disconnected it, the incident would still occur. 4 and 5) I've tried both methods to move. If I drag the region, or hold the Option key while dragging the mouse to duplicate, the problem occurs. However, if I press the Command key and R, then there's no problem. 6) There is no key command for "mute all" Thanks for replying. Hopefully there's a reason for why this is happening.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi shadowrunner20, Sorry, I meant "mute off for all". Would be interesting to see if that key command works for you when this issue occurs. Have you checked the Mixer when this happens to check there aren't any channels that have become muted or soloed? I'd also recommend getting in touch with Yamaha too, as I don't have a Motif XS to test out this issue... Also, what audio interface are you using? Have you set up any MIDI controller in Automation quick access or via the key commands window? Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    Hi guys! I would be curious to try out your project on my system. Feel free to post it on the forum using [url]http://www.sendspace.com[/url] ...or send a PM to me and Rounik. Is this happening in all your project ? Your problem reminds me of the dreaded "Sudden Instrument Death Syndrome" (SIDS) of Logic 7. Christian
  • shadowrunner20
    Hi guys, Rounik, I checked and there was no key command set for "mute off for all". I checked the mixer as well and none of the tracks appeared to be muted or soloed. I went ahead and e-mailed Yamaha as well, so we'll see what they say. As far as audio interface, I use an M-Audio Firewire 410 and I have an Akai MPK49 keyboard. I set up the MPK49 via the key commands (just for stop, play, record, forward, reverse). Christian, I'd be happy to send you or Rounik one of my projects to test out. It'd be interesting to know if this incident happens to you guys. This is only happening on projects with the Motif Rack added. Any other project that didn't have it didn't cause this problem. Before anything though, I'd like to brush up on some Midi knowledge considering I'm still kind of new to it all. As far as connections, I connected a midi cable from Midi Out on the MPK to Midi In on the Firewire. Then, I connected another midi cable from the Midi Out on the Firewire to Midi In on the Motif Rack. However, this did not trigger any sound, even when adjusting the Motif Rack's Midi Out/In settings to Midi. So, I went ahead and added the USB connection from the Motif Rack to the Mac, and I was able to trigger the sounds with out a problem. Is this okay? I felt like I over-rigged it, or in other words, did more than I should've. Let me know what you guys think. Again, I appreciate all of the help! Thanks!
  • Christian L
    Hi Shadowrunner20, I got your PM. You can't send a folder over sendspace. You need to compress the folder to a .zip file. In Mac OS X, you control-click (or right-click) the folder and choose "Create Archive". (I think it's called compress in Leopard). You then upload this file on sendspace or yousendit. Tell me if you need more help.
  • Christian L
    Ok. I got your song. I'll check it out on my system.
  • Christian L
    Hi again! This is because you have the solo button activated on your first MIDI (Yamaha motif) track. Click on the "S" to desactivate it and everything should be playing fine. [img]http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2857/soloup4.jpg[/img] Take care! Christian
  • shadowrunner20
    Hi Christian, Thanks a lot! I can't believe that was the problem. So simple, but yet, it was the last thing that crossed my mind. But why would the Motif tracks behave in that manner when soloed? Is that how most external Midi tracks are? I really appreciate all of the help you've given me! Thanks again!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: