macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Anthony
    Edting multitrack drumtakes
    Hi there, my first visit. The tutorials are great. Here's something that I can't figure out. I hope you can help me. My main instrument are the drums and those are recorded through a lot of mikes (11 in my case) and onto a lot of tracks (you guessed... 11). If I use cycle recording I want to listen back to the performances as a whole because the bassdrum of take 1 with the hihat of take 4 makes no sense if I'm trying out different fills or grooves, or play in a more improvising way. Now here's my problem: If I want to listen to the next take I have to switch all the tracks to the next take. So if I've recorded 10 takes I have to switch 110 times to hear all the performances as a whole. So the question is. Isn't there a way to make all the drumtracks switch to the next take with one push of a button? That would make deciding which groove or fill works better for the song, a lot less time-consuming. More in general: when I'm still in the creative proces and trying out things,I don't care so much about bad edits. My eleven drumtracks in the arranger are really just one track to me. If I want to cut one, I want to cut them all and if I copy the last four bars of a track, I want to do that to all of the tracks. It would be great if there was a way to select a bunch of tracks and tell Logic that it has to copy my actions to all of the selected tracks. I hope someone knows the answer to my question or maybe another way to get the result I'm after. Thanx, Anthony
  • Jimmy Zee
    Re: Edting multitrack drumtakes
    Hi Anthony I think that if you follow what Rounik said in my thread about comping but reverse it would work. You can pack them into folders, and then you will have 10 folders that you cut up I was wondering as well if you could comp a folder similar to comping a track. This would make comping drums a breeze. I was having the same issue as we did multi takes of stereo slide.
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora guys, have you looked at the Region Selection Edit option under group settings for the channel strip. That way, if you assign your drum tracks to a group, any region in that group will be included when selecting and editing. Another work around for the take folder previews would be a similar method to above. Use a key command to unpack your comp folder to individual tracks then assign for each drum track that corresponds to a new take, put it in to it's own group. However many takes you have, you have the same number of groups. In your group preferences, select the mute checkbox so that now, you can mute all of the tracks associated with that group and then you can toggle the groups one by one to listen to each take. Would be one way?? Anyone got anything else?
  • brezerkr
    Totally off point, but i hear a lot of my old self in this thread....and i wish i new earlier on. i am 38 , been playing drums since 9. recording (analog) since 13. just a year ago a friend let me borrow his earthworks drum mic system(i was just learning DAW, and had limted inputs). it uses only 3 mics....this offended my "80's over do everything" approach to recording....yet the outcome was noticably better sounding, i was afraid of loosing control of HH and snare volumes,but have to say, compression and eq will do a better job of limiting "cymbal wash out" than more mics ever did. in short you will be pleasently suprised with 2 overheads and a kick mic in a good room, and comping 3 folders opposed to 11 may save your sanity
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guys, Thought I'd jump in here. Brezerkr's solution sounds like one I'd employ! But, Anthony, if you wish to do what you're saying and keep the 11 tracks with 10 takes per track then I'm pretty sure Logic doesn't yet offer a solution by key command to select "take 2" etc on multiple take folders. It sounds like a great idea. What I'd do (if the take folders are a few bars long for example) is copy them 10 times. Then manually set each take folder to take 1, take 2, take 3 etc. Sorry this might take a little while. Now, I'd select all the take 1 take folders and pack them into a regular folder: Region > Folder > Pack Folder Do the same for the remaining 9 take folders. This way you get yourself your screen real estate back and when making edits in the arrange (cutting, muting etc) you will edit all 11 drum tracks. For more detailed editing, double click on the Folder to see inside and view all the 11 take folders... Hmmm... would be nice to be able to use apple script to automate this procedure... I wonder if Sound Track Pro could be an option, although AFAIK it doesn't support take folders yet. Cheers Rounik Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, second brezerkr's notion that sometimes less is more! Rounik's suggestions of take folders is another good one and does take a bit more prep but only you can say whether it's worth it. There is also the old adage that yes, it might be frustrating to comp take folders in such a way... however, you could also look at it like, if the drums were played properly in the first place, you wouldn't have to rely on editing to make it sound like they can play!? Just a few other cents chipped in :) j
  • Anthony
    Just back from holiday and want to thank you Jimmy, YADJ and Rounik for your suggestions. I will definitely try them out. Cheers, Anthony
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: