macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kazoo
    Sidechain 3rd Party Plug-in Effects
    Need some help. I am not sure if I am doing this wrong or if something is broken. I am trying to route Audio to a AU MIDI Controlled Effects plug-in from a third party manufacturer. I have the AU MIDI Controlled Effect inserted in an instrument slot with the audio I want side chained routed to the Side Chain input of the plug-in itself. From what I understand, I should be able to put MIDI notes in the instrument channel to trigger the effect, but this is not working. Instead I am hearing the effect applied to the entire sample. It sounds no different than if I had the effect inserted on the audio channel strip itself. Can someone assist me with this? Usually the input to the sidechain is what triggers the effect. (Like side chain compression), but it seems like this is not the case with a MIDI controlled plug. Is this correct?
  • Christian L
    Re: Sidechain 3rd Party Plug-in Effects
    Hi Kazoo! Could you please tell us what 3rd party plugin you are trying to use ? Thanks!
  • Kazoo
    I have actually tried it on several with the same results, but here are a list of several I have tried. Ohm Force- All of their plug-ins Camel Audio- Camel Space and Camel Phat PSPNitro and PSP608 The websites for these plug-ins state they support sidechaining and the side chain option comes up when inserted on an instrument track. Pretty much everything appears as it should except the effect is not triggered by midi, it is instead on the whole time.
  • steveH
    Every manufacturer uses the option of side chaining in different ways. Different plug-ins have differing ways of using side chains. A gate or compression PI in uses it to detect amplitude and trigger amplitude related functions not allowing ANY of the SC's audio to actually be heard. However, other PI's allow the SC'd audio to be used as audio and not for detection purposes. This is true in several of Logic's PI's like Sculpture and and the EVOC where the SI'd audio becomes an integral part of the over resulting sound. So the question that must be asked is: what are you trying to achieve? Why are you using side chaining? And, how does you chosen PI deal with it? Steve H.
  • Kazoo
    Hi Steve, Thanks for helping me out with this. I guess I am trying to get my head around how using the plug-in as an instrument insert with a channel routed to the the side chain is any different than just having the plug-in effect in the insert slot of the bus or in the channel strip for that matter. When I think of side chaining, I think of something being a trigger for the effect to process and release signal. So this is what I am thinking as an example.. If I insert a TBK1 MIDI filter as an instrument and route audio into the side chain, i am thinking that when I input MIDI notes into the instrument track, the filter should let out signal like a gate and mute the signal output. I would vision the same result with say an ohm force delay where it only lets out the signal only when midi notes are present. So I think I know what you may come back and tell me.. Why not use a gate.. True that I could do that, (and will to keep the project going in the meantime). I guess where I am at is really trying to understand what purpose the side chain input has on an effect in an instrument channel with audio routed to it, if it sounds no different when MIDI notes are present from when they are not. Given my intention above I would just put in as an insert the effect on a bus with a gate and skip the whole side chain on the effect and side chain into the gate. I guess I fell that is just giving up without understanding the manufacturers intent on how it should work.. Or I have a broken something somewhere. Really what to hear your take on this.
  • Kazoo
    Is anyone familliar with side chaining any of these plug-ins and how they should respond? Ohm Force plug-ins PSP Audioware Nitro TBK Filters I understand Steve's answer and I would agree that these use the audio in the same fashion as other Logic efftets, but for some reason I am thinking that something is not working properly. Should I expect a different result with a plug-in if used as an instrument insert with audio sidechained to it as opposed to an effect that is just inserted on a channel strip? Shouldn't MIDI have some effect on a plug-in used in an instrument channel? I know this might be more a question for each manufacuter, but I find it odd that all plug-ins I am using in this fashion have the same result-(No difference) Leads me to think I am doing something incorrectly.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: