macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dedoni
    Taming the bass
    Hi, I use Logic but as I have no real bass I am using garage band's basses. I am having a bit of trouble in getting a nice bass sound as it the seems to distort (crack). Specially when I hear with my headphones (beyer dt 250 80ohms). I also have a juno G (roland) keyboard and same thing happens with bassy timbers. I've already tried to eq and to compress but I'm still having a cracked sound unless I totally take the bass frequencies out of the mix ending up with almost no bass. First I thought my headphones were blown up but when I play professional mixes they sound fine. Thanks for your help DEDO
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Taming the bass
    Hi dedoni, 1. Are the Level meter for your bass track and/or output 1-2 clipping (going in to the red?) 2. What Bass patch are you using? 3. Does the distortion happen when you are playing the project or when the Transport is stopped? 4. What buffer setting are you using? Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [Devices] ? Cheers Rounik
  • dedoni
    Hi Rounik, Sorry my bad english, I think I used the wrong term. It is not that the bass is distortion.Is more like it cracks when I listen to it on my headphone. I have a pair of yamaha hs50 and it sounds ok there but as I have no sub woofer I tend to check frequencies below 100hzs with my headphones. Levels are fine.
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. What is the Channel strip setting or exact instrument and setting you are using? Can you try a different set of headphones or headphone out? What audio interface are you using? Cheers Rounik
  • dedoni
    Hi Rounik, I am loading a garage band bass on logic's i/o (Does that answer your channel strip setting question?). I only have one pair of headphones (dt 250 80 ohms). My audio interface is a m audio firewire 410. Cheers Dedo
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Dedo, I'm using DT770 PRO 250 ohm headphones and an Apogee Duet audio interface. I can't replicate your issue. Can you try disconnecting your maudio 410 and using the built-in audio? Do you have the same issue? Also can you tell me which notes cause the "crackling" sound? e.g. B2...etc. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: