macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Adaptive Limiter
    Hi Guys, There's different schools of thought on this, but I think the most important thing is to use and trust your ears (they're more expensive and valuable than any application out there!) If the track levels are clipping you should be alright as long as the output channel is not clipping... but you'll need to check that the individual tracks don't sound distorted... I normally mix all tracks a lot lower so nothing tends to clip, and raise the final output level using the adlimiter or something similar to get it "louder"... But, that's just the way I work and I'm sure there are many more real "masters" out there who may prefer to work differently... Have you guys watched the Logic 404 or 403 Mixing series? These tutorials are IMHO absolutely amazing: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/prodElectro[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic403[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jodie, Sorry missed your previous post there :-) definitely consider watching one of the mixing tutorials above for advice on plug-in order. In general compressors come first then eq...later on limiters... but if you don't need a limiter - then don't use it! but hey, it depends on the sound you are after as placing them in different orders can affect the final sound... so experiment, try out some of the channel strip presets, see (er listen) to what works for you. I know some people use a limiter twice once 1st or 2nd and then one at the end of the inserts chain. Others prefer eq'ing and then compressing the signal... These are really good questions btw, and deserve more input from other Logic users! :-) Rounik
  • jeff
    Hey Jodie nice to meet you as well, I checked out your site - totally cool - love the music and the set up - I'll delve into it more later ( I bookmarked it) -just got home from a long trip today. I'm also trying to learning a little about Logic and recording and music in general - everyday -great way to spend time esp. when you have a great site like this to reference talk to you later Jeff Lundmark
  • jeff
    Hey Jodie By the way - In my experiences - I have clipped channels to some degree and have had success, but I never clip the master Jeff
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik-Kun (Kun, pronounced KOON, is the male extension that the Japanese use for boys/men, so I would be Jodie-Kun or Jodie-San), OK I see your point. You always keep your levels LOW and then bring them up with a limiter/adaptive limiter at the end to make the whole project louder. That obviously makes sense, so I'll start doing that myself:) I already have the Olav Basoski tutorial, and you're right, it'a amazing! Should I buy the 403 tutorial as well? I didn't b/c it was for mixing R&B, but I guess that can be used for any genre of music, right? Thanks again man. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Jeff, How ya doin? Thanks for the nice comments about our website:) I just started building, so I still got lots of stuff to do on it, but keep checking it out if you're bored:) heehee:) Yeah, like Rounik said, "You have to trust your ears sometimes and not worry about what you see in the tracks", and Olav Bosaski said the same thing! Basically, 4 of the tracks in the song I'm currently working on clip red for ONE SPOT only, and then after I zero them out, they don't clip for the rest of the song, but I can't really hear any clipping when I listen to the song, so maybe it's ok! I just wanted to know the PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL thinking of people who know what they're doing. Yeah, I know what you mean too when you said that the master/output channels can NEVER clip! I got that! What I don't understand that well yet is why is it that, for example, if the output channel is clipping BEFORE you put an adaptive limiter/limiter on, why is it ok AFTER you put the adaptive limiter on???? I mean, if that's the case, then everyone should use an adaptive limiter if they are clipping, NO???? Thanks Jeff. Jodie
  • jeff
    I think I've used a limiter on every project since watching both Olav's tutorial and the R&B tutorial (which I do recommend BTW) to try to achieve a perceived increase in loudness if nothing else, plus the confidence that I'll burn without any clipping - I am also confused as to why a channel clips with no perceived consequence yet a master will clip and get distortion- are they both not digital signals? - after having compressors and limiters on channels, master channels and then on a master mix - I feel the mix can feel washed out - there really is a fine line there - and I think each project takes on a life of it's own - composing and mixing truly becomes art - very subjective - and takes a lot of experimentation. - I'm really just starting to learn about these tools as well.... so much fun though I listen to some CD's and they are so powerfull and in your face and my mixes seem ... weak.. kind of frustrating at times, or maybe it's the way I'm recording my original tracks... so many variables we just need to keep working at it and try anything that works have fun Jeff
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Jeff, How's it goin? Yeah, I'm not sure myself about the master clipping, mainly b/c I usually/always put a limiter or adaptive limiter on the output channel strip, thus the master doesn't clip! I dunno! Rounik says if you don't need a limiter, don't use one, but ALL of my songs so far have needed it to avoid clipping! Maybe I'm recording my original tracks wrongly as well!! Yeah, I guess just keep plugging away! Literally! hahahahaha:) I just bought the Waveburner tutorial, and it's pretty good:) Do you have that as well? Oh, and you said that David Isaac's Mixing R&B tutorial is good? I have Olav Basoski's mixing electronica, so maybe I should buy the 403 as well (with the 25% Summer Survey discount):) Yippy:) Anyhoo, keep in touch. Thanks Jeff. Jodie
  • jeff
    I have waveburner tutorial and R&B tutorial- I found both to be excellent!!! Jeff
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Jeff. How r things? I just bought the 403 tutorial a minute ago, so I'm looking forward to getting it next week or so. Have you always been a Logic user, or did you use another software before and then converted to Logic? Thanks. Jodie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: