macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mtec
    cpu overloads tip
    hi guys i found this on another forum and i thought it may be a good workaround for people suffering with cpu overloads. I have a possible fix for the common cpu overload problem that so many Logic users are experiencing! I am using Logic 8 on my Mac Pro 2.66 quad machine. Even with a simple project, about 95 percent of the workload was being handled by one core. It was constantly spiking while the other three were hardly showing any activity at all! This spiking wasnât simply a visual thing either. It was causing glitches in the sound and I was getting âsystem overloadâ messages quite often. I tried increasing my buffer size which helped the one core not to spike, but even this adjustment didnât do anything to help even out the workload within the processor. HERE IS HOW I DISCOVERED THE FIX!!! I was experiencing some hiss from one or more inputs during a project. In an effort to eliminate the background noise, I set the input of EVERY AUDIO TRACK to âNO INPUT.â Of course, the hiss disappeared, but to my surprise, the one meter that seemed to be carrying the entire load went down to a normal level and my workload was basically evenly distributed among the 4 cores of my processor!!!! I tried this on a very complex project with the same results. I opened a project with 70 tracks, both audio and midi, with automation and effects. The one meter of the cpu was constantly spiking. I set all audio track inputs to âNO INPUTâ and the problem was fixed! All 70 tracks running smoothly with all four cpu meters carrying an equal load and each only peaking at about 50 percent!!!! Now, I simply assign inputs to my tracks while tracking, and when Iâm finished recording those tracks, I reset the tracks to âno input.â And by not allowing a bunch of inputs to accumulate within the project, I have no more problems whatsoever with cpu spiking!!!!! Give it a try, it solved the problem for me and I hope it works for you!!! NO MORE SYSTEM OVERLOADS OR GLITCHES!!!
  • Christian L
    Re: cpu overloads tip
    Hi, I don't suffer from this problem, but I would be very curious to see if this solution works for other users. Anyone ? Christian
  • Rounik Admin
    I read the original thread too. Am also interested to know if this works for anyone. Cheers Rounik
  • chanana
    hey, im experienced this problem every time!! How could you reset the track to no input?? Please give me the steps ;) cheers samuel
  • mtec
    hi, just change ur inputs on the fader in the arrange window(left hand side) c pic below http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/mtec21/Picture1.png
  • Zihymua
    Could be more simple to freeze tracks you don t work on it AlRobi
  • Manabu
    Thank you for this post. On my MacPro, I had the exact same issue... every time I start up the LP 8 and hit the record the first time, I get the CPU Overload. Even with one MIDI track in the whole project, and exactly as you describe, there is only one CPU core going! I was worried that there was something wrong with my OS or the machine, but if it is happening to Quad Core people, I guess it is not just my issue. I will give this technique a shot and will report again.
  • chanana
    great!! thx for the pic and the advise :) Does someone have any other infos about the overload problem too??
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi chanana What is your system and setup? Did setting the inputs help your overload problem? Have you tried turning off Airport if you have it running? Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: