macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    Denoiser Plug-In
    Hello again everyone (Heh Rounik & Christian). How ya doin? I'm having trouble getting rid of a "HISS" noise that is on a vocal track that my singer laid down; probably due to my crappy audio interface; Anyhoo, any suggestions how I can get rid of it via other plug-ins? Thanks. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Denoiser Plug-In
    Hey Jodie, Is the hiss noise constantly there in the background? Personally, I'd use Soundtrack Pro... open the audio file in STP, or send it from logic by selecting the file and choosing Options > Audio > Open in Sound Track Pro Select a part of the file with ONLY the hiss. Choose Process > Noise Reduction > Set Noise Print Now select the whole piece of audio and choose Process > Noise Reduction > Reduce Noise... Play around with the settings until you are happy with them (be careful not to take out too much of the hiss sound if it's frequency conflicts with the frequency of the vocals). A bit of practice will help. Also use the Channel eq with analyser on, to view the frequency band of the hiss so you can reduce it using eq too if need be. Let us know how you get on, Cheers Rounik
  • AbbeyRhodes
    I did some work in a studio that had waves z-noise and it seemed like a really good plug, I've been told it's the best. Unfortunately that place had such a nice clean channel strip I really didn't have any need for noise reduction so I didn't get to really try it out. Most noise reduction is effectively a gate but ithink z-noise and some others like izotope rx are a little more advanced. As you might expect they're quite expensive so if you're considering purchasing something the best bet would probably address the cause of the noise and look at replacing something in your signal chain that may be causing noise.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Fusili & Jodie, I agree, it's best to look at what's causing the noise (get to the root of the issue!). I love the STP noise reduction feature because it can work really well. However, recently I did a video project, and the recording (in a school classroom) was beset with hums and hisses and buzzing noises. When I listened back in my studio my heart sank as there was no way I as going to be able to go back and record again... I used STP's features to pretty good effect, but there was still too much background noise, so i downloaded the demo for izotope RX (having used Soundsoap pro in the past which was adequate)... [url]http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/[/url] It is amazing! The client is happy, But I don't ever want to be in the situation where the audio is so hissy again so I'm gonna invest in better mic's and field audio stuff and iZotope RX in the future ;-) The demo is a 14 day trial, and can work as a stand alone or a set of plug-ins within Logic. But most uses I think STP should be sufficient. Cheers Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik:) What's up? Heh man, the STP Noise Reduction plug-in worked awesome! It took the hiss/static right out of the vocal track:) Thanks man:) Now I got another problem! Oh brother you're saying, eh:( Well, how to I get that particular vocal track back into my Logic project? STP won't let me EXPORT it. When I click export in STP, the export link doesn't light up and I can't click export! I tried importing the file from Logic too and that didn't work! Am I doing something wrong? Thanks man. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jodie, Glad STP works well for the hiss! It is brilliant to have it included with Logic studio! If you opened up the audio file in STP from Logic as I suggested then if you save the stp project it should update the file in Logic directly. If not just save the file in STP and you can manually import it from Logic, but the first suggestion should work ok. By the way, Martin Sitter has produced an amazing video tutorial for STP: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/soundtrackPro2[/url] (i know, you've heard it all before... another video - but it REALLY is Worth it to find out all the cool function available at your fingertips in STP) Take care, Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik. OK, I'll do that now. Yeah, I've seen the STP tutorial, but isn't STP mainly for video? Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again Rounik. You wrote this before: If you opened up the audio file in STP from Logic as I suggested then if you save the stp project it should update the file in Logic directly. >>>>Yeah, I did save the STP project, well one vocal track, but when I tried to export it to logic, it won't "light-up" to let me select it. If not just save the file in STP and you can manually import it from Logic, but the first suggestion should work ok. >>>> The same thing happened in this situation. I saved the file in STP and then tried to import via Logic, but I couldn't get the file to "light-up" in the finder. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jodie, STP is great for video editors needing to spot audio to their video and it's a great... no really great audio editor IMHO. Steve H. showed some nifty Logic to STP tips and tricks in the TNT1 I think. OK. Logic doesn't update automatically when editing the file in STP. However, if you select Save in STP and make sure the file type is AIFF or WAV (NOT "Audio File Project") then Logic will update the file. I normally save the file over the existing audio file... but of course I also have a backup of the original... so if you replace the existing file do backup your logic project or audio file beforehand. Cheers Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again Rounik:) Man o man I'm stupid! I forgot to assign the file as AIFF or WAV!!!! Stupid Flanders! DOH:) Anyway, I got the file into Logic, finally, but the timing is off! Do you know what causes that? Thanks again man. Jodie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: