macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nyvupeo
    Optimizing my system
    Hi all, I've got a Mac Pro with a 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Processor and 2 GB of RAM. I've just purchased the East West Symphony Orchestra using the Play software. I'm having some problems with the Core Audio in that my computer can't process more than a few instances of Play at once. What Buffer size should I set? Is there any way to play ten tracks at once with this set up, or do I need more RAM or have to freeze the tracks? Any advice would be much appreciated! Right now I have a buffer size of 256 Samples (I have a presonus firebox for my audio input), and the process buffer range set to small. Please help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Optimizing my system
    Hi Matt, A smaller buffer size will decrease latency, but make your mac work harder, so generally, for recording choose a lower buffer size and when arranging and mixing choose as high a buffer size as possible. Again, the lower the process buffer range the lower the latency, but it might use more of your CPU's resources. Set that to medium or high. Using an Instrument like EWSO (which I have no experience of personally) apparently benefits from having access to more ram. 2GB is a small amount as 1GB is enough for running OS X. 6-8GB of ram would be ideal, but again, I have no experience with EWSO or "Play" so don't know how optimized this engine is. The above should help a lot. Other things you can try: - Freeze tracks. - Use EWSO as a multi-timbral plug-in - not 10 individual instances (this can have a major impact on performance of your system) - Every couple of weeks or so run maintenance procedures like Disk Permissions: quit all apps and go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility select your startup volume click on "repair permissions" restart when finished. - run the EWSO samples from an external or second internal drive. - If you are running 10 individual tracks of ~EWSO each with it's own fx, e.g. reverb on it, then your system will be doing much unnecessary work... Try placing the reverb on an Aux track and sending to it's corresponding bus from each EWSO instead. Let me know if any of the above works for you. Cheers Rounik
  • grg1540
    hey rounik, the info above really helped out. i was mixing and experiencing some cpu barriers. your info was exactley what i was looking for. g nyc
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi grg1540, Glad to know it helped! Thanks for the feedback :-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: