macProVideo.com
Forums
  • pyanista18
    Group Solo / Solo group delay?
    Hey gang, What I really want to achieve is "group solos". I used it extensively in ProTools and I'm trying to see what I have to do so that I can do it in Logic. Quick example, I have all my drums in one group. I can press mute on any of the drum tracks and it mutes all of them. Oddly enough, it doesn't work with the solo button. I'm trying to find a way to achieve this... so... I realized that on the Arrange window I can select all the drums (if the "Region Selection (Edit) is checked in the Group Settings) and solo them using the solo button on the transport. That's what I've been using the past few days... I can live with that... but it bugs me that there's about a second delay whenever I solo / unsolo something. For example, I got all the drums soloed and if I want to bring the bass in, I click it and there's this annoying lag before it starts playing. It really breaks the flow especially if you have deadlines. The Track Mute / Solo in the Audio Preferences is on the Fast setting. I thought this was the answer. And no, I don't want them in subgroups (putting all the drums into a bus). Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Group Solo / Solo group delay?
    Hi pyanista18, Welcome to the forums! Yes, I'd love to be able to group solo easily too. However, there are a couple more workarounds: Arrange your tracks in the Arrange window so for example group 1 tracks are all next to each other. When you want to group solo within the Arrange area, click hold on the top Track's solo button and swipe down over all the track's you want to solo! (This also works with the track mute button) Alternatively you can select all the sequential channels in the Mixer by swiping over them and clicking on one solo button. If you want to un solo or un mute all tracks, hold down the Option (alt) key and click on one of the solo or mute buttons in the Track header in the Arrange. Let me know if that helps... Cheers Rounik
  • pyanista18
    Rounik, Thanks for the reply. I've actually knew about the feature you're suggesting sooner than the Solo Tool. That's a feature that I wished ProTools had (swiping over multiple channels). It wasn't fast enough for me. It's funny that a lot of people criticized me for asking this (not in this forum, just friends in the "real" world). They told me that it took a maximum of two seconds to swipe through channels and clicking a solo button. Well, I work at post-production facilities. I NEED to be able to shave off those 2 seconds especially if my clients are paying the studio around $500 an hour. I've always worked fast and I think that's why I loved ProTools so much - they really concentrated on making their DAW as efficient as possible. I still like ProTools but they're showing their age... they haven't kept up with the times and Logic seems good about that. Aside from this feature missing there's a whole lot of features that I like in Logic better than PT. I guess it'll just stay a mystery why the developers didn't think that group soloing is actually a feature that will make the jobs of engineers smoother. Thanks again for your time. Peace!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi pyanista18, I hear you! I decided after your post to make a SOLO button in the environment that you can cable to as many channel strips as necessary. You can rename them and use them as group solo buttons and open them in a frameless Environment window in the Arrange area. You can easily import the SOLO layer from my environment and then you can create your own template(s) to suit and it'll be much quicker perhaps - well, let me know what you think and how useful it is/isn't... The environment is here: [url]http://tnttutorials.macprovideo.com/fileexchange/environments/[/url] Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: