macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rasydye
    Sound Designer 2
    are files with extention of .sd2compatible with logic sessions? or they only work with pro tools? if so, is there a easy and quick way to convert them? i got a few takes with that extention but can't import them into the logic session, can't play it with quicktime either, which is upposed to work. is it possible that the files i have have some problems? thank you so much for any hints! cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Sound Designer 2
    Hi cx, As far as I know Logic has always fully supported the Sound designer 2 file type. I can use .sd2 files in Logic 8 without any issues. How were they exported from Pro Tools? Perhaps the files have some problems... What happens when you try to import the files into Logic, and how do you try to import them? Cheers Rounik
  • Rasydye
    thank you so much for your rapid response! here are the details: someone sent me the files of a recording session with that kind of format. i don't know what they did before they sent to me, but they are pretty big files, one of them is more than 180m. i tried to import the files into my logic session by using audio bin--add audio file. after i select one of the files, the play button was grayed out. and after i click "done" button, Logic told me "the file can't be read" and refused to import it into the session. is there a possibility the person compressed the file before sending them to me? but the icon of the files are those quicktime type with SD2 on it. but when i tried to open the file in quicktime, each time i was told "the end of the file was reached". i haven't figured out what it really means by checking the Help section. I haven't tried to open it in protools yet, but it seems these files do have problems. thanks for any further advices!!! all my best, cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey no problem! I'd try opening them in Pro Tools to see... perhaps they are a strange bit depth in some way... I don't have Pro Tools here to test this out. 180mb is not unusual methinks for a long audio file. Let me know what you find out and if you find any info from the guy that sent them to you. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    er... if Pro Tools can't open them I'd get the guy to send you the files again in 24bit wav format if possible. Alternatively try out an audio conversion app's like: [url]http://www.monkey-tools.com/soundgrinder/[/url] [url]http://www.dekorte.com/projects/shareware/SoundConverter/[/url] Both look good and though not free are pretty useful apps to have around the studio! I haven't used either - so couldn't advise - but that would be the last option, as Logic does support sd2 files and many still use them. Despite not being the most popular of formats, I'd first explore that the files may be corrupt or need to be converted to 24bit/16bit and a sample rate you can use. Let me know how it goes. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi cx, just wondering if you managed to get the sd2 files into Logic ok - or whether the issue was with the files themselves. Cheers Rounik
  • Rasydye
    hi, Rounik, i just got one of the files sent to me again in aiff format and it turns out to work fine. so i'm waiting for all other files to be sent to me in the same format. i don't know what happened with the sd2s, but according to that engineer, sth may have happened during the uploading. thank you so much for your very kind helps! i will keep you posted about the progress of other issues we have discussed. thanks! by the way, you can always check out my music at www. poetryrecords.com when you got time. best and have a great day, chuxiao
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey cx, Glad you got the files ok... sd2 should absolutely work fine, so i think perhaps something happened during the upload? Very nice & tender music by the way. Thank you. I enjoyed guitar poem 1 very much :-) Rounik
  • Rasydye
    thanks and i'm glad you like the music, there are your helps there from time to time! there are more music coming up soon! many thanks!! chuxiao
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: