macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cajypiu
    Re: long long portamentos
    Yeah, I did the same a while ago for delay calcs and all that stuff. I just use Music Math and a few widgets such as Big Blue Lounge and a few others. The whole temperaments thing I haven't really looked in to.... what's all that about then? Got any good resources to read up on it? Cheers, John
  • Doug
    As usual, Wikipedia is the best place to start on temperaments. I think temperament is huge and most people think it's nothing. Ah well. My own take is that the various historical temperaments were designed for different purposes. Equal temperament (how modern keyboards are tuned more-or-less) is ideal for when you need to play in 12 keys and you can't possibly retune your instrument. Neither condition applies to what I'm doing, so I seek out a temperament that sounds good to my ears (Werkmeister III, 'the famous one' is always good start). With Logic, it's easy to listen to a passage (the effect is especially pronounced in harmonies) in a variety of temperaments and make your own judgements. I find equal temperament to be buzzy and unsettled.
  • Cajypiu
    Sweet OK.... I'll check it out. I've played with the tuning scales before but not really being classically trained I often confuse myself more than I make theoretically correct music... so I just go with what sounds cool! I'll look in to it though.... always keen to learn something me!
  • Doug
    [quote:7638]Do post a link to your project or your post your project if you like too, Doug.[/quote] I've finished a good first draft. It's the one called "Alone in this World" on my song page [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~douglasgifford/north_alley/[/url]. The rising gliss (sines stacked at the major third) underlies the B section.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks for posting it! Nice section with the rising gliss... lovely effect.
  • Cajypiu
    Aye... kind of trippy too!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Doug, a year and a half later... do you have the project you created for Shepard tones still? Ray, in this thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=24806&sid=0#24811[/url] Is also trying to make Shepard tones in Logic and could do with some help. unfortunately, we don't the files that were once hosted on the TNT file sharing site anymore... Thanks! Rounik
  • Doug
    The song is at http://home.cogeco.ca/~dgifford1/songs/alone.mp3 the Shepard tones start about half-way through If I have time later today, I try to recollect how I finally did them.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Doug! Much appreciated. :)
  • Doug
    my solution, ultimately, was to use ES2 playing stacked sines with a 32 bar (max length) rising sawtooth from LFO2 controlling pitch. A zip of that part of the project is [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~douglasgifford/stuffholder/shepards.zip[/url] feel free to add it to your files area Doug
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: