macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logic pro 8
    Exs24 can it load quantum leap sounds???
    Hi I'm on logic pro8 OS 10.4.11 and working with kontact. But I find it takes alot of juice and need to freeze trks alot of times... Would the EXS load these types of file and would it run them at a better past as far as RAM management? Right now my kontact files and module is on an external drive and am recording and managing my project folder from within my computer. Is that the best way to do it? Cause you know thw quantum leap library is pretty heavy in space.. Thanks! Steeve
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Exs24 can it load quantum leap sounds???
    Hi Steeve, The EXS24 is generally accepted at being one of the more cpu efficient samplers around. Unfortunately, AFAIK, it can't run kontakt files. I believe that Quantum Leap is a closed system only designed to run through the included sampler. Which "Quantum Leap" product are you using? What Mac are you using & how much ram do you have? Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi, Can't help you with the EXS part of the question... but regarding the second part... where possible I have my applications on my main computer, an external firewire hard drive that I write/compose and save my Projects to and an other external firewire drive that I store my Music Libraries on. I've been doing this for a year or so and its been working well. Hope this is of some help. Cheers, Bj
  • logic pro 8
    I used to do the same write and save on external drive but as soon as I strated using Kontact, I experience shutdown when I wanted to save my projects. I guess the project was too heavy?? To bad caus now its like I gotta work on my computer and after the whole song is done then transfer to ext hard disk. This can cause mutiple errors of transfers, back ups and names... I'm currently working on a Musical so I got 27 songs To manage like that. Its alot of trouble if I could find a way to uptimise my wave files and samplers... Thanks your tips!! Well apréciated, belive me!! Steeve
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Steeve, Recording to an external drive (FW400 and above) and storing samples on it is a very efficient way to go. I've never come across that issue with Kontakt... what kind of external HD are you using? Also, how big is your logic project? You could try increasing your Buffer I/O setting (Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio) This will increase latency though. You may find that freezing tracks will help you as well. If you have reverbs or other effects on 2+ tracks, consider placing the effect on a Bus and sending to that Bus from the tracks. That will save on cpu. Cheers Rounik
  • logic pro 8
    Hi Rounik. Thanks for your time... I'm using a Imac 2 GHZ processor 2duo core 3GB 667 ddr2 ram/ mac os 10.4.11 with logic pro 8 (Still dreaming of a Mac pro...) Ext drive lacie 500gig firwire 800 ( mabe thats where the prob is...My computer is 400 firwire mabe It should be 800???) Might want to check my last awnser up ther for the prob.. Thanks Steeve
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Steeve, I think the lacie firewire drive should be fine. You're using a firewire 400 cable from the imac to the drive, right? i don't understand why Kontakt would cause a shutdown when using an external drive to read and write from... Have you sought technical help from East West on this issue? If there's no joy there and you're happy for the time being to use your mac's drive then consider the freezing option on software Instrument tracks and audio tracks with many plug-ins. It will you save a large chunk of CPU. Let me know if that helps, Rounik
  • logic pro 8
    Ok I'll try that. Mabe I,m using a 400 firewire cable, I'll work with the freez option and let you know if the bug still there. Thanks!! Steeve
  • Bj
    Hi Steeve, To check if your iMac can run an 800 firewire device go to System Profiler - found under the Blue Apple Icon Top Left of Desktop, About This Mac, more info - and click on Firewire (under Contents, Hardware) and that will show you what your Max Speed is. Let me know what you find... Cheers, Bj
  • logic pro 8
    Got it. I can run 400 max. To bad I need to change computer if I want max speed... Still dreaming about that mac pro...Full equip___6000$!! Dream on they say.. Thanks Steeve
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: