macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mikkifinn
    Midi Guitar Note Pitch Bending
    Hi All, This is my first posting. I hope you can assist me. I am trying to simulate a guitar bend on one midi note. How do you bend it by a precise amount ie one semitone or a full tone. Also is there a difference if it was a slide instead of a bend? While i am at it i may as well ask if anyone knows how you would simulate a Harmonic on a guitar sting. I am trying to copy a piece of tabulation as accurately as possible, any advice about replicating tabulation notation would be most welcome. Thanking you in advance.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Midi Guitar Note Pitch Bending
    Hi mikkifinn, Welcome to macProVideo forums ! There are a few ways to achieve this. It would be great if you could tell us more about your set up... Version of Logic & MIDI Keyboard & what software instrument are you using (e.g. EXS24 sampler, Sculpture....) and which preset (patch) you are using. You can draw a pitch bend using a MIDI controller while recording, or you can add track based automation to achieve this - the easiest method depends on the instrument you are using... Also, there are 2 EXS24 "instruments" - one for electric and one for acoustic EXS24 which you can find in the EXS24 instrument menu Factory > 08 Guitars > Let me know some more details so I can help in more detail. Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    [quote:77508]Hi All, This is my first posting. I hope you can assist me. I am trying to simulate a guitar bend on one midi note. How do you bend it by a precise amount ie one semitone or a full tone. Also is there a difference if it was a slide instead of a bend? [/quote] Hi Mikkifinn and welcome to the forums! On most synths, the pitch bend parameter is set to bend a maximum of 2 semitones by default. If you have a MIDI controller, this means that when you pull the pitch bend wheel to it's maximum value, it will bend the pitch up or down 1 whole tone (2 frets on a guitar). There is a difference in sound between sliding and bending. Bending will give you a smooth constant pitch change. You will simulate this playing technique with a pitch bend. Simulating a slide on a synth can bis more difficult. You can emulate this by playing all chromatic note between 2 notes. Also, some EXS24 can simulate a slide when you play a note with a velocity of 127. Cheers!
  • mikkifinn
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am using Logic 8 as part of the Logic studio. I am using a M-Audio 61 keyboard and the EXS24 Spanish Flamenco Guitar patch from Garageband. The tabulation i am working with requires bends of 1/4 a 1/2 and a Full bend. What is the best way to achieve this on a note. Thanking you in advance
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: