macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kimbone
    Logic 7 will not open
    Greetings...Ever since I downloaded Logic Studio, I haven't been able to open my old Logic 7 sessions...also have a session that won't work because of other 'third party audio or midi drivers' that might be open. Anyone else have this snag...tried looking for other relative threads, but couldn't find any...Thanks much
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic 7 will not open
    Hi Kimbone, Did you open the Logic 7 project in Logic 8 and save over it??? Logic 8 projects cannot be opened in Logic 7. for the 3rd party audio / midi drivers issue. Can you let us know what audio interface and MIDI hardware, version of Logic 7 and 8 and OS X version you are using please... The session that doesn't work. Is this a Logic 7 session or Logic 8 session? Have you tried restarting your mac, disconnecting all hardware and trying again? Have you got the latest drivers for your equipment? Cheers Rounik
  • Kimbone
    Hi Rounik, thanks for getting back. I'm using a Motu 896HD, Logic 7.2, and OXS 10.4.11. I've updated the Motu. Yes, I tried opening the original Logic 7 session in Logic 8, as I had done with all my other L7 projects...seemed to work fine...just this one has the driver issue. I'll try the disconnection and restart. I don't mean to bombard you, but it seems that I'm having a number of issues with L8...lost all background colors in Arrange and the ability to customize Piano Roll, items in the Help menue will not respond, Toolbar preference icons dropped, etc. I can't think of anything I've done to cause this...just went to work one morning and the program was all haywire. Sorry to bring so much up. Perhaps I should reinstall Logic Studio again and start from scratch?
  • Bj
    Hi Kimbone, Have you tried Repairing Permissions with Disk Utility? This is someting I do whenever I have added new software and/or updates. Also you could try opening the project again from L7 to L8 ( if you haven't already ) because sometimes things get lost or confused... But I would give Repairing Permissions a go first of all. Hope this helps, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, Repairing permissions as Bj says is a great place to start. Also, have you tried trashing your Logic preferences file? ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist Cheers Rounik
  • Kimbone
    Hi Guys Tried repairing permissions without success. Interesting that beforehand I updated Pro Apps with Apple and the background color bugs went away. Nice. I'll try trashing the Logic preferences. I just want to say that, whether this issue is solved or not, I really appreciate your help. There's a lot of lives out here that are better off for it. Thanks, Kimbone
  • Rounik Admin
    Thank you for your kind words Kimbone :) A few more questions to see if we can get to the bottom of this if trashing Logic's preferences doesn't help... What Mac are you using? Have you got the latest updates for Logic 7 (7.2.3) and 8 (8.0.2)? I also wanted to double check a few things... 1. Does Logic 7 application open at all? 2. Does Logic 8 application open ok? 3. Does the Logic 7 project open ok in Logic7? 4. Does the Logic 7 project open ok in Logic8? Take care, Rounik
  • Kimbone
    Unfortunately trashing the preferences didn't work. I'm using a G5 dual with over 4 gb's, and both Logic 7 and 8 are updated...getting a question mark over the L7 icon in the dock now. 7 does open for a few seconds and then either shuts down or the program remains visible with a white patch appearing without anything in it and the dreaded beach ball appearing, reminding me to force quit. When I try to open L8 with the same session (noted that not all of my sessions are having this problem...only the the one I most need right now), it does load up, but does not respond when trying to playback...while some operations do work sometimes, like changing to different channel strips. But these actions always result in the warning of other audio or midi devices interfering. The Logic 7 project doesn't open at all in L8. And for the record, ever since I loaded L8, I have never been able to open any sessions in L7...I guess that refers to the first question...no, Logic 7 doesn't open at all. Again, Kimbone
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Kimbone, OK. So to confirm Logic 7 has a ? over the icon in the dock and when you click on it (in the dock) it doesn't load. Go to the Applications folder and double click on the Logic 7 app. I presume it doesn't load? If so, you have a problem with the Logic 7 application. You could try to reinstall Logic 7. If you do this, select to install only the application and not any additional content. In regards to the session you try and open in Logic 8. In what app did you last save it? Logic 7 or 8? So....this project refuses to play back at all.... Can you go to the location of the project folder and find a sub-folder called "Song backups". Try opening all of these logic files in Logic 8... Also, can I ask if you have backups of your logic projects... If so, try loading it up too. Cheers Rounik
  • Kimbone
    ...right, it doesn't load from the apps folder. Will reinstall. I last saved it in L8. I do have backups of all my projects on a couple other externals, and will try and load them up.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: