macProVideo.com
Forums
  • geraberl
    Bouncing in Real Time Vs Offline
    Just wanted to impart some recent experiences on this matter. I have had situations, when bouncing offline, that for some reason, Logic doesn't always pick up certain filters, plugin effects (like reverbs) etc as it processes the track. A real head scratcher which I had just put down to a (sometimes) buggy quirk. Usually, quitting and relaunching, then bouncing again sometimes did the trick. However, a while back I was reading a bunch of forums about this matter, and the general consensus was, that when doing the FINAL FINAL bounce of your magnum opus, it is always better to bounce in real time as the overall quality of the result can be superior and the chances of it 'missing' certain setting or parameters in the track are greatly reduce. There's no doubt that bouncing offline is a major time saver, but these days, when bouncing the final mix, I always bounce in real time and have never had a single problem like the one I was experiencing when bouncing offline. I wonder if Martin may have some thoughts on this matter? Best Gerald More Human Than Human http://www.myspace.com/morehumanthanhumanmusic
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Bouncing in Real Time Vs Offline
    Hi Gerald, What version of Logic have you had the bouncing issue on? I've never come across this, so I'm very curious. Were the effects nor bounced 3rd party plug-ins or native Logic plug-ins? In my experience, bouncing offline vs realtime produces no difference in the final output. I would bounce in realtime or record via a bus to an audio track when "bouncing" arpeggiated tracks or when using realtime objects connected to a channel. By the way, we share the same home town :-) Cheers Rounik
  • geraberl
    Hi Rounik Thanks for getting back, admittedly, I used to experience this in Logic 7 and haven't really experienced this particularproblem in the more recent Logic Pro. Another weird anomaly I have just experienced on a recent track, which employs particularly heavy reverb is that after pressing 0 to go to the beginning of the track to bounce, when I bounce it's like residual reverb and the general 'hum' from the track's dps's immediately plays and completely buggers up the start. Again, a usual remedy was to quit and relaunch which was like it 'cleared the pipes' i.e the output channel, but on this particular track, it doesn't seem to do it. I'm busing all the dps's to aux tracks. It's strange and v frustrating. When you say 'share the same home town' do you mean Ellenville? If so, how fab, we should meet up one day to swap Logic Pro stories! I have to say, that I shudder to think where we would be without MacPro Video. Martin, Steve and everyone's help with the tutorials and this forum have been absolutely invaluable. Best Gerald
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Gerald, I'd be surprised if you did come across the original bounce issue in Logic 8... but then again I was lucky enough not to have issues bouncing in 7, 6 or 5. If it ever crops up in Logic 8 please let me know! [quote:2355] Another weird anomaly I have just experienced on a recent track, which employs particularly heavy reverb is that after pressing 0 to go to the beginning of the track to bounce, when I bounce it's like residual reverb and the general 'hum' from the track's dps's immediately plays and completely buggers up the start. Again, a usual remedy was to quit and relaunch which was like it 'cleared the pipes' i.e the output channel, but on this particular track, it doesn't seem to do it. I'm busing all the dps's to aux tracks. It's strange and v frustrating. [/quote] Hmmm.. I've come across this issue though. I find that Logic occasionally has a buffer like system, so a reverb tail gets held in the buffer when you stop and then try playing (and especially bouncing from the beginning of the track). What I would do is, before bouncing, clear the "buffer" by playing an empty part of your arrangement and then bouncing. Let me know if that works for you? [quote:2355] I have to say, that I shudder to think where we would be without MacPro Video. Martin, Steve and everyone's help with the tutorials and this forum have been absolutely invaluable. Best Gerald [/quote] Thank you for your kind words! Much appreciated :-) I'm writing you a private message (you can access via Private Messages - Inbox at the top of this page). Cheers Rounik
  • geraberl
    terrific, look forward to hopefully connecting Logic is a fascinating, never-ending journey of learning and discovery g
  • geraberl
    Thanks a bunch Rounik, I tried your tip about playing a silent region prior to bouncing in order to 'clear the buffer' and it appears to have done the trick! Problem solved! Many thanks indeed
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Gerald! Thanks for posting back and really glad it worked for you. :-) Rounik
  • Burafao
    Hi there, i just googled this question and got this thread i am bouncing a track that has 10 plugins, 20 automation lines that is 20 minutes long. Tons of automation, sometimes 10 lines of automation doing something at once. There is no doubt that the real-time bounce is more accurate. The online bounce is doing some strange things level wise. My system is a G5 2.1 i-mac 2.5ram logic 8 osx10.4.11 I am not an expert with logic, but its a noticeable difference, this is also within a project Rounik that i had some glitches with, we chatted about it last week. TOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom, Yes, I remember our chat about the scrolling issue... So what are the differences between online and realtime automation for this particular project & What do you mean by "strange things level wise"? Is the offline bounced file not bouncing all the automation data? More interestingly, are you able to replicate this in a new project? Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Guys, I had a few 'off line' problems when first bouncing Omnisphere projects... Not everything was there... Never struck the issue in Logic 7 or 8 using Only Logic and Stylus RMX. I looked for the usual suspects (corrupt files, accidently hidden mutes...) but the project was playing fine, even the backup version. So I didn't look too hard. I put it down to Omnisphere being rather CPU Intensive and switched to 'Real Time' bounce and have no further problems. I remember reading something, somewhere, prior to Logic 8 that for Large Projects with lots of Tracks, Plug Ins, etc,.. it is recommended that 'Real Time' bounce be used... but that was a while back. Cheers, Bj
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: