macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Bouncing in Real Time Vs Offline
    Hi Bj, Thanks for the info! Really useful to know this. I'm gonna try out bouncing some omnisphere & RMX projects to test this out. Cheers Rounik
  • Burafao
    [quote:7638]Hi Tom, Yes, I remember our chat about the scrolling issue... So what are the differences between online and realtime automation for this particular project & What do you mean by "strange things level wise"? Is the offline bounced file not bouncing all the automation data? More interestingly, are you able to replicate this in a new project? Cheers Rounik[/quote] Hi Rounik, i havent tried it with another project, this issue is two of the plugins were a compressor set with heavy limiting and the adaptive limiter. The proper result is of a leveling out of big peaks in the voice over i am working with. But the result with the on-line bounce was an increase in the peaks compared to the original, thats very odd. I think it might have to do with a very large amount of automation. Another thing that happens, is that Logic doesnt like sudden changes in automation, i try to use gentle changes where possible, for example a change in gain of a eq peak sometimes doesnt have the desired effect if the automation asks it to quickly change its value then back again. So i presume when asked to do this calculation plus (in this case) 20 lines of other automation, plus calculate 10 or so plugins the processor can get it wrong. Also CELEMONY WHO MAKE MELODYNE RECOMMEND ALL BOUNCING SHOULD BE DONE IN REAL-TIME. I can verify that this is the case, it is a bit touch and go if MELODYNE is used on-line. Thanks tOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom, Thanks for the info, That's really useful info you've collected there. I'm going to look at a few of my older projects with lots of automation. I suspect you're correct, as in the past I found a few inconsistencies and bounced tracks in realtime or record the output of all tracks via a bus to an empty audio track. Here's a useful link to pass this info on to the Logic developers: [url]http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html[/url] Best Rounik
  • Burafao
    Hi Rounik, thanks a lot for the link. A couple of thoughts. I have been working with computer music for only 3 years. Before that i worked with the Akai DPS16. A fantastic work station. It was built for music production and only that. Its OS is basic compared to a MAC, but what it did, it did 99.999999% perfectly. I am getting the picture not to ask too much off my MAC. With the Akai a maximum of 4 effects simultaneously is avaliable spread over 16 tracks. I think i have been like the "kid in a candy store" with logic ," oh wow i can have 50 plugins' on ". Its all very well being able to have 50 tracks and lots of plugins and automation and on-line rendering, but having no limit like the Akai DPS16 i think is why we have so many questions about why things arent running smoothly. I'm going to try to be conservative from now and not ask the Mac to do to much. A friend of mine who is a top pro uses Logic 4.8.1. He does music for well known Movies and TV shows. He says there is no way he would use a later version of Logic as his one is very stable. How does Logic8 compare to logic 4 or 5? I'm loving using Logic 8 and i know i am the cause of 95% the problems i have but coming from using a platform like the Akai , i'd be tempted to use an earlier version of Logic and keep things simple. Thanks tOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom, I've been using Logic only since version 5. But, I know that 4.8 was apparently very stable. I found the automation features in 5.5 to be great, and in general it was a very stable setup. I've particularly loved versions 7 and 8, partly because they give the composer and producer so much more freedom and content, and in particular version 8 is much easier to use. Personally, I wouldn't go backwards. I think you'd have to use OS 9 to use Logic 4.8? Not a great idea unless you have all the equipment from that day. Even then you'd be constricting yourself in terms of track count and no support. I can understand people wanting to keep their setup and their workflow, but even going back to Logic 7 isn't great for me now... so once you know Logic 8 I think it'll be more worth your while spending a little time optimising the system for Logic and learning where there are limitations and what workarounds can be employed... This forum is great for that! ;-) I think it's difficult to compare a DAW to a hardware workstation, because as you state the hardware has a defined purpose and tends to do that well. Software on a computer runs as well as the OS, internal hardware and the hardware connected to it allows. Software based studio have a greater degree of flexibilty and mean Logic can really be tailored to a particular workflow and many styles of music. For example, you can write scores, mix in surround, score to video, do sound design, as well as produce all styles of music imaginable! If the only reason you are considering going back to older versions is the realtime vs offline bounce, then I'd urge you to reconsider. Also, bear in mind that a lot of the issues people face with Logic or other DAW's often come as a result of OS changes, external hardware and 3rd party plug-ins. Of course there are bugs too... Can you bring to the fore some of the other concerns you have about things not running smoothly? By the way, what Mac and OS are you running? You can add this info in the Forum settings so it's visible in your profile if you wish. Take care Rounik
  • Burafao
    Hi Rounik, Your a star. Thanks for being so helpful to a newbie. I totally agree with you. I love Logic8. I started with garage band, then Logic express7 and now Logic8. When i got L7 express i thought it wasnt' half as fun as using Garage band, i wanted the functionality of logic, but the user friendlyness of Garage band. And of course thats what Logic8 is. I want to get real good with it and it will take years to master it. I use a G5 2.1ghz i-mac with 2.5 gig ram, WD firewire External HD and a Focusrite Saffire LE interface. I think this is a great forum. Very friendly, just what is needed. I love the tutorials as well. Thanks tOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Tom, :-) Thanks for the kind comments! It makes a difference. This is a particularly friendly place. I feel lucky to be involved here. A great forum depends on great posters, contributers & forum members ;-) Any questions at all - don't hesitate to ask! Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: