macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    COMPRESSION "Circuit Type"
    Heh Rounik & phriends:) I'm studying about the compressor plug-in, and I've looked everywhere for an explanation about the differences between the CIRCUIT TYPE choices that are available in the compressor plug-in, but???????? Can someone explain what the differences are between the following: Platinum, Classic A_R, Classic A_U, VCA, FET, and Opto (optical). In Olav Basoski's 404 tutorial, he uses the Classic A_U circuit type, so is it fair to say the ELECTRONIC music should use that circuit type, for example? Thanks everyone:) Bare with me, PLEASE:) Jodie
  • chanana
    Re: COMPRESSION "Circuit Type"
    HI Jodie this might help you ;) http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/146229-logic-8-compressor-models.html
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Chanana, Here is the original link to the info about VCA, FET and Opto modes in Logic's compressor: [url]http://www.barryrudolph.com/mix/comp.html[/url] I've copied here for easy reference: --- Optical isolators ⢠The optical isolator section of compressors uses a light bulb (or an LED) to glow brighter or dimmer in response to incoming audio. A photocell (or phototransistor) is used to track the varying brightness of the bulb and change gain accordingly. This is a good example of an average responding detector. The inherent lag time that the bulb/photocell has in response to audio is factored into the attack and release time performance. The Teletronix LA-2 and the transistorized UREI LA-3 leveling amps are examples of this type of compressor. Compressors using this method are used a lot for bass guitar, vocals, program mix and drums. These compressors offer simple, natural sounding control (unless pressed hard). FET ⢠Field Effect Transistor compressors use a special transistor to vary gain. FETs were the first transistor to emulate tubes in the way they worked internally. Inherently a high-impedance device, the FET compressor sounds like no other box, and not many examples exist because of the expense of the extra attendant circuitry required. FET compressors are extremely fast, clean and reliable. I like to use these on vocals where a good amount of compression sounds good or better than the same amount with another unit, and on drums for room mics or individual drum mics. UREI's 1176LN peak limiter and LA Audio's Classic II stereo compressor/limiter are examples of FET-based compressors. VCA ⢠Voltage Controlled Amplifier compressors are the most versatile of all and so are the greatest in number. The VCA can quickly change gain in response to many different detectors looking at the same signal. VCA compressors are for the really tough cases where you want strict control over level and dynamics. However, they can be as gentle as any other compressor or anywhere in between. I like a good VCA compressor on vocals, drums, guitars, synths, bass, mix--basically anytime I need a compressor. Vari-gain compressors ⢠Variable Gain compressors include all units that incorporate discrete circuitry other than VCAs, FETs or opto-isolators. I put the Manley Variable-Mu tube unit in this category, and I like using these types for vocals, drums and stereo mix. Computer based/digital compressors ⢠Computer-based or digital compressors are now more prevalent, offering the ability to process audio in the digital domain under precise computer control. Digital audio stored in a computer has the advantage of being "predictively" processed. You can have zero attack time gain reduction as well as nearly infinite control of all parameters of compression on a moment-to-moment basis. The Waves L1-UltraMaximizer TDM plug-in for Pro Tools is one example of a software-based compressor. TC Electronic makes the Finalizer Express hardware unit for studio mastering. This is a single-rackspace, stand-alone, digital multiband compressor. --- Cheers Rounik
  • Zihymua
    Hi this not directly answer your question but it help me a lot in Apple site in Logic studio download there a new PDF title - Logic Studio Instruments and Effects- a good tutorial to look at AlRobi
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Chanana, How r u? Nice to meet you:) Thanks for the link. I'm gonna check it out right now:) Thanks again. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Alrobi, Thanks for the info. Gonna check that out now, too:) Thanks a lot. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik, Martin says, "Green Loops Rock!" Well, I say, "The Rounik-meister ROCKS"! Thanks for the compressor circuit-type info.:) Gotta play around with them all now:) Talk soon. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jodie, Ahhhh... well, the info I pasted (not wrote) in my previous post was taken from a link from Chanana's link... ;-) But thanks anyways :-)))) Take care & enjoy compressing, Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik, What's up? Heh, have you checked out DYNAMICALAN's Waveburner question? I'm not quite sure what he means really! Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Cheers for the heads up Jodie :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: