macProVideo.com
Forums
  • gc104
    Side Chain Splash
    I am trying to create a side chain splash, as per your tutorial. I have followed closely your instructions. When I get to the point of inserting a noise gate, the noise gate seems to work in reverse. When the threshold is low the audio source passes through the effects, as I raise the thresehold I enter into dry signal. Is this not the opposite of what should be happening? Can you advise? Thanks for your assistance. Gary
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Side Chain Splash
    Hi Gary, Which tutorial and which chapter are you referring to? Have you set the correct source for the side chain? Cheers Rounik
  • gc104
    Hello Ruinik I am referring to tutorial Logic TNT 2007 Dec. #44 The side chain is set on the Bus one Aux of the source audio track. I have tried many different things and have repeatedly gone step by step with the tutorial and the result is always the same. The threshold seems to be working in reverse; When the threshold is up the effects drop out, when it is down the effects are heard. Thanks, Gary
  • gc104
    Ruinik, I also notice that when I bypass the noise gate, with the threshold totally up ( and there being no effects kicking in ) the effects comes on.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Gary, I've uploaded the Logic project file in the TNT Environments downloads section: [url]http://tnttutorials.macprovideo.com/fileexchange/environments/more_info.php?id=16[/url] The idea of th side chain splash is that the effects only come in at the loudest parts of the audio track (in this case the guitar)! If you want all the effects in all the time then you don't need to side chain using the noise gate, just put all the effects on the channel itself or on the Aux track and send to it. Or have I misunderstood your question? Let me know. Cheers, Rounik
  • gc104
    Hello Rounik, I think you have misunderstood my question. I think I understand the function of the noise gate. The problem seems to be that when the noise gate passes the threshold it turns the effect off. Or to put it another way, the loudest parts are turning the effects off. Everything below the activity flashing point has the effect on. Therefore the effect is on most of the time until we reach nearly the peak of the threshold, at which point it turns the effect off. It's a complete reversal of what it should be doing. Equally, clicking bypass on the Noise Gate turns the effect on, not off. Ultimately I am trying to use a midi controller to open and close the noise gate, but I haven't gotten that far successfully yet. Thank you for your assistance. Gary
  • gc104
    Hi again, I have just downloaded the Logic file that you sent me. The same problem exist here also. 1. The upper end of the threshold turns the effect off, and 2. Everything below the threshold has the effect on. Gary
  • steveH
    Hey gc104 Steve H. here. The position of the gate in the insert signal flow is of utmost importance. In order for this splash effect to work, the sidechained gate must be inserted in an aux channel in the first (topmost) insert slot. In that position, when it the gate opens (by the bussed audio crossing the threshold) it allows the signal to pass through all the other processors in the the effects chain which starts from top to bottom. However, if you put the sidechained gate at the bottom of the insert chain, then you will achieve the opposite effect: The audio will be processed by all the effects in the chain until a signal crosses the sidechained gate's threshold... this, I believe is what is happening in your set up. So tell me, where is your sidechained gate? Steve H P.S. I downloaded the above file and it works perfectly. However I noticed that the aux channel has 2 gates: one before and after the effects chain. Get rid of the one after and use the one before the chain (at the top of the insert slots).
  • gc104
    Hello Steve, Thank you for your reply. I have always placed the noise gate at the top of the aux channel inserts. I have just tried it again, being sure to un-plug the noise gate on the bottom. The result is as before. The threshold from -100db until -35db has the effect working, after -35db the signal becomes dry. Bypassing has the inserts playing full. Is there something wrong in my thinking about the threshold?
  • steveH
    Can you upload your project, or a sample project with you "splash" set up?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: