macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SoniaT
    Transporting Logic Express 8 music to studio
    I have created songs on my iMac in Logic Express 8. What media is used to "physically" transport the songs to another facility for re-mixing and mastering? A friend suggested bouncing the songs to a CD-RW. This does not work. Must I save each audio file separately on the CD? Do I need to save it to an external hard drive? I understand that the mastering facility/program must be compatible. Please help! Thank you so much. SoniaT
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Transporting Logic Express 8 music to studio
    Hi Sonia, Welcome to the macProVideo forums! You can transport the bounced songs on an external disc or CD-R / RW or DVD-R or DVD-RW. To put them on a CD or DVD do the following: Bounce the songs from Logic to your mac's hard disc. Remember where they are ;-) Quit Logic. In the Finder choose File > New Burn Folder Drag the bounced song files into the burn folder. When you're ready open the burn folder if it isn't already open and click on the Burn button (top right). Insert a blank CD / DVD when it asks you to and click OK to burn the disc. Hope that helps, Rounik by the way, CD's can hold roughly 700mb of data and DVD's about 4GB. At the bottom of the burn window you'll see the estimated size of the disc needed while you drag your song files into it.
  • SoniaT
    Thank you Rounik. I followed your suggestion. The burned CD-RW opens in Quicktime or iTunes. I could only listen. This is, basically, the same result I get when bouncing. When I open the actual burn folder, all I get is a blank arrange window with a blank audio track. No data visible. Am I missing something here...maybe in the bounce? Please respond asap. SoniaT
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi SoniaT, I am confused... what is it you want to take to the studio with you??? Are you mixing or mastering in the studio? Do you want to take your logic projects with you? Does the studio have logic? or Do you want to take only the audio files form each project, so you can work on them in the studio? or Do you want to take one bounced audio file for each project, so you can master each project/song in the studio? My next question is how are you bouncing your Logic project? What settings are you using in the Bounce window? Thanks Rounik
  • SoniaT
    I want to get the songs re-mixed and mastered? I am using Logic Express 8. My thought is that I would need to take the projects with me. However, I understand that if the facility is using an older version of Logic, it could be an issue. What would be your suggestion in this situation? My bounces are done offline in the arrange window and sent to bounce folders, not to the hard drive (AIFF or WAVE files, Interleaved, 24 bit, PCM, CDDA, & MP3, I think.) I also have a question about routing channels to outputs to bounce. All my channels are routed to Outputs 1-2. But can you provide a little info on that, as well. I have been working with LE since May, and still learning by trial and error. Thank you for your responses.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi SoniaT, Thanks for the reply. I'd suggest calling the Facility and finding out what version of Logic they are using. And, you're right, if your project was created or saved in Logic 8 then it can't be opened in an earlier version of Logic. Here is what I do when transferring projects between studios that may not use the most up to date version of Logic: 1. Open my project and solo the first track. 2. File > Bounce and select the options as shown in the picture below. [img]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2985/picture1oe1.png[/img] Choose PCM only and aiff or wav. Choose the sample rate of your project. (You don't need to tick "add to audio bin") 3. Repeat step 2 for all your tracks. 4. Quit Logic and create a new Burn folder on your desktop (File > New Burn Folder). Open the Burn folder. (rename it too if you like). 5. Open the logic project folder you have just bounced all the tracks of. Drag the files from the folder "Bounces" into the burn folder. 6. Open the Burn folder and check to see all the files are there. As you can see from my picture below, my Burn folder has the files I have dragged in to it. In the bottom bar of the window, there's information about the contents of the Burn folder. My tracks for this song/project will not fit on a CD because a CD has a capacity of 700MB and a DVD has a capacity of about 4GB. So if i want to burn these files to a disc I need to use a DVD-R or DVD-RW. [img]http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2391/picture2zm1.png[/img] 7. When you have the correct media (CD or DVD) to hand click on the Burn button in the top right corner of the window and insert the disc when ready. This will copy and burn the audio files to your disc. 8. Repeat steps 1 - 7 for your other Logic projects. Hope that helps! Out of interest have you checked out the Core Logic 8: Logic 101 tutorial? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] It's extremely comprehensive and takes you through all the basics of Logic and much more. Also, if you're interested, there is a "Green sale" currently running that would give you 33% off any download purchases: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/greensale08/[/url] If you need any further help, do let us know. Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Rounik, Thanks once again for a fully comprehensive answer... I'm sure quite a few other logic users will appreciate it too... Cheers, Bj : )
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Bj! No problem. I appreciate your appreciation ;-) Best, Rounik
  • SoniaT
    It worked, Rounik! Your instructions were clear. I cannot thank you enough. SoniaT P.S. I will definitely check out the tutorial you suggested.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi SoniaT, Great! Really glad to know that :-) Hope your studio session goes well. Enjoy the tutorial if you decide to get it (there are preview videos you can view, and of course, if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask! cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: