macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BONGOLICIOUS
    hard drive ??
    What do you guys suggest, to run logic and files on macbook HD or use an external for faster speeds, and space issues?
  • steveH
    Re: hard drive ??
    Logic (the program) has to be on the internal drive. I always suggest that your project folders and recorded audio be set up on a different drive. On a laptop, of course, that would mean an external drive. You can also move your loops and samples to an external drive and refer to those now external files via the use of aliases in the folders where they are normally stored.
  • Rounik Admin
    completely agree with Steve 100%. Best to have a fast external FW400 or better hard drive to run projects and record audio onto. Best Rounik
  • Bj
    Couldn't agree more... I've been doing this for a while now and everything runs sweet... Cheers, Bj
  • kayleclements
    I agree as well, and would add to be sure to get a 7200 rpm drive for best results (a lot of the cheaper drives from the big-box stores are 5400 rpm). I haven't had good luck with usb drives - so I would stick to firewire 400/800 or e-sata. I would recommend either a G-Tech or OWC drive. They have both worked great for me. I have also heard good things about Glyph and some of the WD drives, but I don't own any of them.
  • Rounik Admin
    I just got a g-tech drive a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it! I also have a WD mybook and a maxtor, which are 1 and 3 years old respectively and have had no real problems with either, although I find the WD a little noisier than the others. Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    I have a preference for the LeCie firewire drives... have found them very quiet and reliable... as are their small (160 gig and below) portable USB 2 drives... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    That's interesting about lacie drives. My partner has ... 3 i think, the oldest of which she's been using for at least 3 years and they've always been fine. The only issue we've ever had when using them has been the power cable being easy to pull out by mistake. The G-tech drive I purchased is more expensive than the lacie and WD etc, but it feels a little sturdier (especially when compared to the WD) and has extra connectivity options (eSATA) etc. I feel very very confident using it to stream video projects from... etc. Those Lacie usb2 portable "lego style" drives look useful. Do you use them Bj? Cheers Rounik
  • kayleclements
    I know a guy in my office that had a la Cie Porche hard drive that actually started to smoke one day while he was using. The drive failed, and he had to go to the backup drive to recover. Ever since then, I have steered clear of LaCie. Although, I have to say that I have an older LaCie D2 drive that has worked very well for me - hasn't given me a lick of trouble.
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:1122]I know a guy in my office that had a la Cie Porche hard drive that actually started to smoke one day [/quote] my partners lacie porche is a non smoker ;-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: