macProVideo.com
Forums
  • New2Mac
    How to remove duplicate folders in Library
    I think a few people are also having this problem...or rather annoyance if you are OCD. I installed Logic Pro 8 in full, and noticed that the Library contains 6 duplicate folders > GarageBand, Jam Pack 1, Jam Pack Remix Tools, Jam Pack Rhythmn Section, Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra and Jam Pack World Music. I'm guessing one set was imported from GarageBand and the other was installed during normal installation. How can I get rid of 1 set? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: How to remove duplicate folders in Library
    Hi New2Mac, Welcome to the forums. I've heard of this problem before... When you're in Logic's loop browser do you see duplicates of each loop displayed? Also, back in the Finder. Are the duplicate folders exact duplicates? Select a folder and press Cmd-I (get info) and do the same for it's double. I would delete the folder which is empty or smaller or older... delete the files in the Apple Loops index and then drag the Apple Loops folder directly on to the Apple Loops browser in Logic to begin the re-indexing process. Cheers Rounik
  • New2Mac
    Hi Rounik and thanks for the quick reply! No the duplicates are occuring in the Library not Loops tabs. The Library folders contains samples with the .exs extension. When I search for say "Jam Pack" in Finder, only 1 folder shows up and not 2, which is really strange...
  • Rounik Admin
    ok... I understand you are looking in Logic only. When you mentioned the Library before, I assumed you were referring to the Library folder on your HD (in the Finder). Anyway, in the Library are you viewing the Channel strip settings or Instrument / plug-in setting? If it's a channel strip setting, the "setting" rectangle at the top of the channel strip will have a white outline. If it's displaying the instrument or effect settings, one of the Insert or I/O rectangles will have a white border. Is this on an audio track or a software instrument track? Can you take a screen shot of your screen (shift-Cmd-3) and post a link to it here? Does your library look anything like this? [img]http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3872/picture1lf2.png[/img] Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, I'd er on the side of caution when trying to optimise the jam packs loops library. I tried to do a similar thing not so long ago and it caused me all kinds of grief. By the looks of things there are subtle differences between the GB and Logic jam packs/ loop libraries but if you try changing/ deleting/ updating them, re-indexed or not, they appear to lose compatibility even if there does appear to be double ups. There may well be a way round it but for the sake of saving a couple of gig and hours of my time, I left it as is!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Yadj, Kia Ora! Haven't seen you around for a little while. Hope all is well over in Oz :-) Yes, I understand there have been issues for some with re-indexing... I know that some Apple Loop library issues have been cause by Garageband 08 or Soundtrack Pro 2 being installed after Logic 8... Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora Rounik! yes mate, all good down here in kiwi land tar... it's alright, I'll forgive you for thinking NZ is Oz ;) Been mucking around on a few short films and documentaries recently so been somewhat out of action. How've you been? What have I missed :) Bout that indexing m'larky, I think the main culprit is Soundtrack. As soon as I put Final Cut studio 2 on, it started giving me gip. Interestingly enough, the loops don't appear to like been aliased off to other locations either? Cheers, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey John, I'm so embarrassed!!! I was thinking Kiwi and somehow wrote Oz....! Oops :-� Glad to hear you've been creatively busy. Is that working on sound tracks for the films and docs? I'm good thanks. Also been working on editing film interviews recently. Have you checked out designProVideo? That's pretty new... [url]http://www.designprovideo.com/[/url] Yes, I've heard that if installing FCS when Logic is already on the machine, it's best not to install the STP loop content. I've been able to alias the loop library to other locations (ext HD) in the past on my old setup, but I did have issues occasionally. Now I just keep them on my internal drive (MBP) which is better for me anyway as I'm not dependent on lugging the hard drive with me wherever I go ;-) Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Haha... that's cool. If I were a true kiwi, you'd probably get a different response.... but you know, us english stick together! Yeah, the juices have been going mental these past few months! Quit my job, started my own freelancy thing and have also teamed up with a few other peeps doing a similar drill. The doco thing I'm co-writing, shooting, editing and mixing the sound... the short film I'm boom/ sound mix boy and there's talk of a music vid coming up soon for a mate of mine where I'll prob just stick to the editing as I'm a crap cameraman! Yes, I did check out designpro. Looking good all round. I downloaded the flash tutorial recently but have yet to watch it... looking forward to the rest of the Native Instruments too. Rockon Macprovideo! I must say, I've had a few quirky things happen after a few key installs. Final Cut being one, well, like you say the soundtrack element. And I got one of those Euphonix control units and the software for that has a habit of throwing it's toys every now and then too. Good point about the laptop setup too but I guess I'm kind of used to it as I have a serato setup I gig on every now and then and I'm used to lugging my hard drives around! Cheers, John
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:3745] Yeah, the juices have been going mental these past few months! Quit my job, started my own freelancy thing and have also teamed up with a few other peeps doing a similar drill. The doco thing I'm co-writing, shooting, editing and mixing the sound... the short film I'm boom/ sound mix boy and there's talk of a music vid coming up soon for a mate of mine where I'll prob just stick to the editing as I'm a crap cameraman! [/quote] Hey, Good luck with that! Sounds great :-) Do start a new thread about the Euphonix Control if you like... Apart from it acting up occasionally I've heard it's a pretty sweet controller.... but look at me... I'm veering wildly off topic :-D
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: