macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SJKukla
    Trimming video start time
    Hi all, I've done a bit of searching on this, so I hope it isn't a redundant question. I seem to remember, in LP7, a way to trim a long video to begin and end at custom points within the file. I have a long video file, with short audio cues interspersed throughout it. I had thought that if I could trim the start and end times to fit the audio, when I froze tracks, the freezing might start at the beginning of the video trim, rather then at the beginning of the video file itself. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find this feature in L8. I know I can change the start time, but that shifts the entire video over instead of starting from within the file at a specified time... Thanks for reading! Steve K
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Trimming video start time
    Are you requiring specific time code spot sounds in the video? Would it be easier to trim the video for audio editing purposes?
  • SJKukla
    Hi, I suppose it would, although currently I don't have iLife or any sort of video editing application... Thanks for the input, though, that's the direction I need. Steve K
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Steve, that's cool, I was thinking out loud! There is another alternative for you. In the project settings in Logic, look at the synchronisation options under the general tab I think it is. There should be a bit where it says bar position 1 1 1 1 and plays at SMPTE.... 01:00:00:00. If you adjust that plays at SMPTE that will offset the video start time to bar 1 1 1 1 position so technically doing what you're asking. Just make sure to reset it to 01:00:00:00 etc so that when you bounce and add the audio to the movie, it will be added at the right place. I don't think you can change the end time though. Cheers, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Steve, I'd go with whatever John says ;-) But, if you have Logic Studio on your mac then you do have powerful video editing capabilities already: Quicktime Pro. You can cut, copy and paste, audio, video or audio and video and resize, trim and encode video using Quicktime. Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Second what Rounik says about Quicktime Pro. Right handy little app that is normally heavily under utilised. Did it come with Logic 7? If you don't have iLife either by the way, what are the specs of your computer? What Operating system are you on. iLife has been around since 2004 unless you decided to take it off?
  • SJKukla
    Hi, Thanks for all of the suggestions; I just recently heard about some of the nifty things QTP can do, so I'll be sure to check that out. As for why no iLife, etc., I am currently running OSX Leopard which I installed fresh, instead of migrating over to Tiger. (I did this mainly out of paranoia). Because it was a retail full copy of Leopard and not an upgrade, iLife 08 was not included.... bummer... Steve K.
  • Cajypiu
    Aaah... got it. Wise move btw about fresh installing Leopard. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about opting for the upgrade path. One thing you maaaaay be able to do, is have a nose around apple.com for iMovie HD. That was ported up there for owners of iLife 08 who hated iMovie 08 so they put up the old version for people. That's pretty nifty for basic video editing purposes. What you need to do to get access to the download I'm not sure but worth a look. Not aware of any other freebies for video though I'm afraid unless someone else can chip in there? Cheers, j
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Steve & John, you can download iMovie HD 6 here: [url]http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html[/url] but i believe you have to have iMovie 08 installed on your mac... If you've installed Logic studio, then Quick Time player is updated to the Pro version automatically (without much fanfare). Even though the name (Quick Time Player) stays the same it is updated to Pro! You can easily set the start and end points and trim by frame. Cheers Rounik
  • steveH
    You can also trim video right inside Logic. In the Options menu: Import a movie. Set your locators around the section you want. Then in the same Options menu: Export audio to movie Make your export selections... audio sample rate, name (give it a unique name) tell it where you want it to go etc. Next, you will get a dialog box which will ask you to select the tracks in the movie that wish to keep. They come preselected, so just click OK! This process will make copies of your movie. Thats it. Steve H.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: