macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BrooklynMike
    Where to get basic information
    I'm just getting into Logic, trying to just jump in recording music, messing with instruments, etc. All the tutorial sources I've encountered seem to assume a basic familiarity with digital audio I don't have. For example, I don't know what a 'bounce' is, and can't find an explaination in the user guide or tutorials... they assume you know. That is just one example. is there a basic glossary or "Digital Audio for REAL Dummies" I can consult to get this basic level of familiarity?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Where to get basic information
    Hi Mike, Welcome to macProVideo forums :-) Do you already have the Logic 101: Core Logic 8 tutorial? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] It really is a great source of info on Logic 8 and does start by explaining and demonstrating some digital audio basics: waveforms, amplitude, frequency, sample rates. Concepts like Bouncing are explained in detail in chapter 105 "Setting up to Bounce". Basically, Bouncing is a way of rendering whatever you have created on a track in Logic to an audio file that can be played within or outside of Logic. Often, when you've created and mixed a song in Logic with say 10 tracks, you'll want to output these 10 tracks from Logic so you can share or distribute the song... Well, that's where bouncing comes in. You'll need to Bounce your project into a single audio file so that others can listen to it via iTunes, or on CD for example. But hey, feel free to ask anything you need to on these forums. That's what we're here for :-D I would say, everyone at some point starts at the beginning... and it can be a daunting place to be. IMHO, asking questions, going through and searching the Logic 101 tutorial, exploring Logic and reading others' posts and the Getting started guide that comes with Logic will all help you become more familiar and comfortable with Logic and digital audio. Cheers Rounik
  • Humble Tafari
    I agree, i am just getting back into music production, and want to use Logic Pro. But i want a good solid tutorial on the fundamentals of Logic Express. Hopefully i find one soon.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Humble Tafari, Welcome to the forums. I wouldn't recommend this tutorial unless I really believed in it: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] IMHO the above tutorial is the best available and accessible to all levels of users wanting to learn the core aspects and more of Logic Express 8 or Logic Pro 8. But don't take my word for it! You can download NED (the video tutorial player) for free and download 45 minutes worth of tutorials from the course to try out if the preview videos on the above page aren't enough. Whether you get it or not, these forums are open to all, so feel free to ask any questions here & use the search function too ;-) Thanks Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Hi BrooklynMike, Welcome to macProVideo:) Yeah, I agree completely with what Rounik said about the Logic Pro 8 101: Core Logic Pro 8 tutorial:) That was the first tutorial I bought, and I was completely knew to the whole region/tracks/digital/bouncing thing, and now after about 10 months of using Logic, I'm getting the hang of it, so I highly recommend the 101 tutorial by Martin Sitter:) Also, Rounik is always here to help you with anything:) He is like my best friend here at macProVideo:) I'd be lost without that guy, so take his advice and suggestions and help seriously:) I'm a drummer, need I say more, so I'm pretty GREEN with all this stuff myself, but the 101 tutorial is amazing:) I would also look into Steve Horelick's 202 tutorial: Logic's Plug-Ins: Unplugged b/c he goes into great detail about the plug-ins in Logic Pro 8, although he is using Logic 7 in that tutorial, but it's basically the same in Logic 8. If you want to create your own drum beats, then I highly recommend getting the 204 tutorial: Ultrabeat Unleashed by Steve H. Honestly, that drum machine is bar far, and I ain't kidding, the most amazing drum machine I've ever seen:) Like Steve H. says, "It's a MONSTER." OK, so to start off, you should get the following to get you on your way: Logic Pro 8 101: Core Logic Pro 8 Logic 202: Logic's Plug-ins Unplugged Logic Pro 8 204: Ultrabeat Unleashed Well, have fun. Gotta ask the Rounik-meister a question now:) See ya. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:44659]Rounik is always here to help you with anything:) He is like my best friend here at macProVideo:) I'd be lost without that guy, so take his advice and suggestions and help seriously:) [/quote] Awww shucks... So, how can I slip you that $10... cash or American Express? ;-))))
  • Jehubyi
    Hahahahaha:) Come to Japan and we'll get hammered with some Geisha women:) hahahaha:) While I got ya here Rounik, I got another question about WAVEBURNER for you: I don't know why, but when I got to BOUNCE PROJECT it detects clipping in this one spot, but when I go to BOUNCE MIX, it doesn't clip! I still don't know what the difference is b/w BOUNCE PROJECT & BOUNCE MIX in Waveburner, and why is it doing what it is doing? Also, I checked the Logic project and the point where it says that clipping is occurring in Waveburner, and it isn't clipping in the Logic project. Can ya figure that one out? Thanks man. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jodie, Could you start a new thread about this issue please? It's nice to give this conundrum more room to breathe in it's own thread ;-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: