macProVideo.com
Forums
  • No Sound
    No Sound
    I just installed Logic 7 express on my powerbook and i cant get any sound out of it, is there any settings that i am over looking or is the default sound card not good enough for Logic?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: No Sound
    Hi No Sound, Welcome to the forums. It would be really useful of you could provide some more details about your system and exactly What you are doing to try and make some sound! The built-in sound card in all Mac's will work fine. Try Logic Express > Preferences > Audio to make sure core audio is turned on and the correct device is selected. Try the following: 1. Create a new audio Instrument track 2. Click in the I/O slot on it's channel strip and select an Instrument. 3. Press the capslock key to display the Caps Lock keyboard. 4. Press a key on your keyboard (e.g. F, G, H etc) 5. If you cannot hear any sound still, look at the Transport display to see if any MIDI info is being display when you press a key. In Logic, it's really important to create the correct type of track... Also, I'd really recommend you check out this tutorial, or even the demos, as it will get you up and running in no time: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/masteringLogic7[/url] Let me know if the above helps or not. Cheers Rounik
  • No Sound
    I tried your steps and im still not getting any sound, except the metronome. I used the mac keyboard (caps lock: T, H, G...) the sequencer is showing that I am hitting the notes but I'm not getting any notes out of my speakers. I downloaded the demo of the tutorial you sent but I don't really have an extra 50$ to spend right now. What other specs did you need to know about my system?
  • No Sound
    your right, the transport says Midi Activity: No in No out Whats the next step to get the sound to work?
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. We'll need to go step by step. Although I suspect point 3 may be the issue: 1. What Mac are you using? 2. Are you using an external audio interface? 3. Open the Environment window: Window > Environment Go to the Cables & ports layer (by navigating to via the drop down menu in the top left of the interface). Make sure there is cable running from Physical Input to Sequencer. It doesn't have to look exactly like this picture, but there MUST be a cable running from "SUM" of Physical Input to sequencer. [img]http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/704/picture7ms0.png[/img] BTW, this pic if from Logic 8 so it will look a little different to your version. Cheers Rounik
  • No Sound
    I have a Macbook, the about this mac says: mac os x version 10.4.11 processor 2.16 ghz intel core duo I haven't done anything extra to the computer. I connected the physical input to the keyboard to the sequencer, and still no sound. I couldn't find the input view box, so I didn't connect that.
  • Rounik Admin
    the input view is actually a Monitor - you can find it in New > But anyway, if you have connected the Physical Input to the Sequencer then the Capslock keyboard should work fine now. You can test it by turning on the capslock keyboard and as you press some keys, you should see the corresponding note and velocity appear in the MIDI IN / MIDI out part of the Transport. Right, this is strange.... OK. Let's try another test: 1. Create a new audio Instrument track 2. Click in the I/O slot on it's channel strip and select any Instrument. e.g. ES1 3. Open the Matrix Window form the Window menu 4. Draw some notes in the Matrix Editor and/or click on the piano keys on the left. Any sound? Go to Logic Express > Preferences > Audio Make sure that Core Audio Enabled IS ticked. Make sure that Built-in audio is selected. Is you Mac's volume level high? Open the Mixer, are any of the little "S" or "M" buttons at the bottom of each channel strip flashing or are any of the s or m buttons highlighted? If so, turn off the offending solo or mute button. Are all the channel strips routed to Output 1-2? Are the level faders for each channel strip raised to 0dB? There are probably more things we can go through, but for now it's important you give me as much detailed feedback as possible on what happens when you do each of the above. It can help us narrow down the cause & hopefully find a quick solution :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Also, if you hear sounds from the notes in the Matrix Editor, but not the capslock keyboard, make sure that the Velocity on the capslock kybrd is not displayed as 0. If this is the case, press M or N on your keyboard to set the velocity to a high value. Cheers Rounik
  • No Sound
    ive been extremely busy for the last couple of weeks and i have jsut gotten a chance to get back to Logic. ... but i created a new audio track and clicked on the i/o input, it just says no input. maybe that has something to do with it the sound not working?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, NOT an Audio track! :-) Please read the instructions in my above post carefully: Audio INSTRUMENT track. In Logic 7 an audio instrument track (Logic 8 calls it a software instrument track) cannot play back or record audio. It needs a virtual instrument as it's input and triggers sounds within the instrument with MIDI data. Let me know if it works right now. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: