macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Burafao
    Scrolling not smooth with Logic8pro
    Hi there, i run logic 8.0.2. with a G5 imac. Scrolling in some projects becomes delayed up to 1 second, but in all projects the scrolling at best is not quite as smooth as in All other applications on the mac. When Logic 8.0.0 came out the graphics were really sluggish on G5's, something confirmed with several G5 users i know then 8.0.1 addressed this but still the scrolling is not as good as in Garage band. Is there something i can adjust? I think its a bit strange that Apples top audio application has this issue where Garage band or logic express doesnt. Thanks for any help. TOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Scrolling not smooth with Logic8pro
    Hi Tom, I'm running 8.0.2 on a MBP and don't experience the sluggish scrolling you mention (unless a particular project is laden with lots and lots of tracks and plug-ins). Are you talking about scrolling with the mouse (trackpad/ball) manually or the View > scroll in play feature? Do you get the same behaviour when scrolling in a virtually empty project? Also, have you tried downloading the latest pro app update. I wonder if that might help? Cheers Rounik
  • Burafao
    Hi Rounik, I mean with the mouse ball. I did your suggestion opening up a new project and the problem is not there. My logic is 8.0.2 The project is 6 gigs big with software and audio instruments. I run the audio from an external HD. I just re saved as so the exs instruments are now in the project folder, though i have been working with this project for 2 weeks now without doing that, so does that mean i have to do something else to or are the exs instruments now moved completely to the project folder now i have ticked the box ? Apparently that will help system performance. maybe this project is corrupted? Thanks for your reply TOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tom, It sounds like quite a big project! How many tracks and plug-ins roughly is it? If you're running a few space designers on individual channel strips you might consider placing one space designer on an Aux track and sending the signal from those channels to the Aux. That can save some cpu! Freezing tracks should help too. Also, do quite any other apps when running Logic to improve it's performance. Check to see how much HD space you have free on your system drive. I'd recommend running with about 15% free at least if possible. That can also improve performance. You don't mention how much ram you have on your Mac, and what processor your G5 is... Can you describe what you mean by sluggish? For more optimisation tricks check out this thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=12059[/url] Let me know how you get on :-) Rounik
  • Burafao
    Hi Rounik, i have 2.5 gig of ram ( maximum) 2 auxes with space designer each Roughly about 25 plug ins like eq, compressors, de-essers, sampler delays.......... not the really heavy ones. I have about 20% of the HD left. i have a focusrite saffire and i lost the power supply so its been powered off the firewire bus on the imac. A guy at Focusrite said that is not a good idea as the imac has only one bus for firewire and usb, So i have been running all audio from the internal drive. I think the internal drive just got over loaded. So temporarily i have disconnected the saffire and started using my firewire drive for Audio and ESX instruments and it has pretty much solved the issue. man there is so much to learn. Thanks very much for your quick help TOM
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Tom :-) One other suggestion... try running your projects from an external drive. That can also help - though maybe not as dramatically as if you were running Logic on a macbook. The learning never stops, but I'm sure you'll soon be flying ;-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: