macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ben
    "Size by Default" Nightmare
    Hi Rounik and hi everyone, Here's my day's frustration for you: I was working along on my project that got bigger. I decided, "hmm... let me resize those objects on my Mixer (environment)... hmm.. here we go... Options - Clean Up - Size by Default." It resized all my objects (I selected them all) into a miniature icon. So I thought: 1. WHERE DO I SET THIS DEFAULT SIZE IN LOGIC?? No Idea. I mean.. a default must be a setting, no? Then I started trying to stretch the objects so they are visible. I tried all the possible ways to Opt/Shift/Comm + click + drag. It did resize it while I was clicking, but as soon as I let the button go, it jumped right back to that miniature size. IGOR!!!! Help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: "Size by Default" Nightmare
    Hi Ben, What object(s) did you apply Options - Clean Up - Size by Default? Have you tried Options>Apply Buffer Template to> ? Check out page 920 of the Logic 8 manual ;-) Cheers Rounk
  • Ben
    Hey Rounik, Those were Audio Strips, and yes, edit copying them and then pasting the buffer template onto the others did restore them to original size. I heard from someone that this is "Logic's odd behavior". Why call it odd? It's i-logic-al. See.. I consider an option that has no purpose a bug. So basically you cannot resize audio strips in the environment? Bummer EDIT: I must admit to one thing: I did use the environment instead of the mixer. Meaning, the environment is basically a graphical (with editing capabilities) of the mixer. However, the fact that you can't resize is still strange.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ben, I agree, it'd be really really nice to have the Environment overhauled (in a good way!) The Environment has been in Logic since year dot... and I think it needs a little bit of TLC. Have you checked out Mainstage? I can't help but wonder if the graphical implementation there of channels, being able to resize objects etc etc is perhaps going to make it's way into Logic's Environment one day. BTW, if you wanted, you could create some vertical or horizontal faders which can be resized and cable them to the channel strips in the environment. Then copy and paste them onto a new layer - voila you have your own resized faders albeit without insert slots. Building pan/balance knobs would also be as easy! Cheers Rounik
  • Ben
    Hey Rounik, First of all, it's nice to chat with you. I think we will be spending a lot of time writing each other (if I'm lucky enough you respond), so your support is seriously appreciated! As for your suggestion to create faders.. nah.. I'll just accept the env as it is and see what comes with the updates. I haven't yet checked out Main Stage. I'm switching over from Cubase and that's already a pain in the behind. In many ways, Cubase is much more... Logic-al. for example.. the only way I could use a single instance of Kontakt for separate strips was to create a Multi-Inst, connect it to an existing Kontakt inst I created and then add subchannels that are midi-ed-out to the multi. Cubase lets you just load Kontakt and voila. Still, I love the program for other reasons. You know, I was thinking it could be funny to have Martin or Steve do a tutorial on bugs in Logic, but I guess it would last hours.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Ben, Interesting you should say that about Cubase. There seems to be a 50/50 split. Many coming from Cubase to Logic tell me they find Logic more Logic-al... True there are some things that could be improved in Logic... Multi-Instruments could be easier to set up, but most of the time, in Logic 8, it's as easy as selecting Track > New and choosing Multi-timbral... then loading a multi-Kontakt instance on the newly created channel strip. But, you know, this isn't really a bug as such (most developers would argue into the night that a bug is something which does not function as it was designed to, not something that a user feels should work differently ;-) Mainstage is an interesting application - but It's in it;s first version, so I don't feel it's concept has been fully realized just yet.... It's not inside info... just my personal opinion. Surely, Cubase has some bugs? Out of interest, what made you switch to Logic? If you want to list a few of the 'bugs' you've experienced I'd be glad to try and find solutions (or workarounds for bonafide bugs!) Cheers Rounik
  • Ben
    Yes you are right. What my personal preference is should not count as a bug. But I was referring to actual bugs. Can't remember which right now because I hardly slept, but there are. I'm a composer and moved about two months ago to LA to write film music. It's something I started in Europe with a single PC running Cubase. When I arrived to LA I met with a known composer who told me to switch to Logic. He said it's better, and it is. I had to get a Mac Pro and a Mac book pro. ouch. I don't think that Cubase is more Logic-al, I find that some features are easier to implement, but that is probably because I'm just starting to get my hands dirty. I won a bid on Ebay recently and bought 7 DVDs from Macprovideo, so that was a very good introduction to Logic. Many hours studying! How about you? Happy thanks giving. PS I'll try your Kontakt suggestion right away
  • Ben
    Yep, you were right about the multi timbral instrument ;) gee. So much to learn still.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ben, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I'm actually based in the UK, so I'm not benefiting from the holiday ;) I don't do much music to film, but have a few musical side projects (mainly ambient) and am also an Apple Certified Trainer and teacher of other Mac Software. You are completely correct there are some outstanding bugs in Logic that need fixing - I'm ok, but I know some fellow Logic users are awaiting the next update... I also agree there are some things that could be completely easier to achieve in Logic. (I'm awaiting the next update :))) There are plenty of Logic power users who after years of using Logic everyday still find something new! It really is an amazing application, and (yes I'm biased) the tutorial videos here now allow users to reach experience levels in Logic in a fraction of the time it used to take. RE: Kontakt multi: there are some essential Multi tips in Logic 303 TNT 2 tutorials. Did you get this on ebay? If not, I'd really recommend series 1 and 2. I'm not trying to sell them, honestly! Check out the preview videos and contents whenever you've got through the 7 other DVD's! Congrats on getting into film composition in LA! If you ever want to post links to films or promos that you scored you can post them in the General sub forum: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general[/url] So where are you from in Europe? Cheers! Rounik
  • Ben
    So Thanks giving went well. I was thankful for the team of Macprovideo. I'm actually from Israel originally and a naturalized Belgian (lived there for 15 years, same dreadful weather as the UK). I actually already bought TNT2 and you don't need to feel uncomfortable recommending those. I feel the same way. I'm pretty busy these day, so I haven't had a chance to look into them. I used a multi timral inst instead and indeed, works like charm. Thank you. Now I have some other issues I want your advise about, so let me create another topic.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: