macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dragontheory
    That MoTown/ Dangermouse Drum Sound.....?
    Would love it if there were a tutorial based on achieving Lo-Fi compression sounds for drums. That boomy sound you hear on the old classic MoTown recordings. I sample it like crazy..... I would like to know how to get my current sample library..... (ultrabeat & BFD2) to sound vintage and old without sounding over processed and flat. I use a variety of different approaches..... Outboard Comp using LA610 .... Logic comp plug in..... UAD plugs..... Grateful for any and all suggestions......... e.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: That MoTown/ Dangermouse Drum Sound.....?
    Hi Dragontheory, Have you got this free plug-in: [url]http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/[/url] Vinyl, with very very minimal settings can produce a nice lo-fi effect. Logic's bitcrusher (also with minimal settings) can add a little lo-fi!) Also, try using Logic's Tape Delay in your signal chain for a warm sound: Turn off sync, reduce the Delay time to 0.0. However, be warned, that often upon opening a saved project the tape delay resets it's delay time! Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Another helpful tip is to look at what equipment they used and how they used it during those times. Sometimes only one mic on a drum kit, everyone jamming in the room at the same time, mono 4-8 track workflows and recording to tape. PSP's vintage warmer is fantastic for smashing drums FWIW.
  • Dragontheory
    Thanks for the tips..... I checked out the Vinyl plug.....ehhhhhh It has a purpose a guess... but it still sounds like a plug to me..... Thats a good Idea about looking into the equipment used back in the day....when I do that I usually learn a few things about the recording side of things... I also learn how expensive outboard vintage analog gear is...... Makes me crazy.... thanks. e.
  • Dragontheory
    [quote:7638] Also, try using Logic's Tape Delay in your signal chain for a warm sound: [/quote] One of my FAV tricks...... I try running it on a BUS with a heavy compressor for drums..... almost distorted...... and run it paralel with another Bus thats clean....... Good for making punchy loud drums..... e.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: