macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Busodeo
    Auto Input Monitoring
    Hi, Can anyone tell me if there's a problem with auto input monitoring in Logic 8? It doesn't seem to make any difference having it switched on or off. Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Auto Input Monitoring
    Hi futurevibe, Do you have software monitoring turned on? What audio interface are you using? Some interfaces have monitoring built-in, so you will hear both your audio interface's monitoring and Logic (with effects) when recording if you have software monitoring turned on. Cheers Rounik
  • Busodeo
    Hi Rounik, Sorry i should have made my question clearer. Im talking about what the Logic manual says about auto input monitoring on pages 357 & 358. Im not sure what auto input monitoring does exactly because having it switched on or off makes no difference so i was wondering if this was a bug in Logic? I'v tried using it in the examples explained in the manual but it does not work as described. Im using an M-Audio FW410 audio interface. Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Futurevibe, I think the FW410 has software monitoring built-in, so try this: Logic Pro > Preference > Audio turn off software monitoring. According to the manual, Auto Input monitoring should enable you to Does it work now - by allowing existing recorded audio to be heard while the channel is record enabled? Cheers Rounik
  • Busodeo
    I don't think its the FW410 because I have the same problem on my MacBook using the Built In Audio. This is what the Logic manual says about auto input monitoring on page 357: "If Auto Input Monitoring is switched on, you will only hear the input signal during the actual recording - before and afterwards, you will hear the previously recorded audio on the track, while the sequencer is running. This helps you to judge punch in and punch out points when punch recording. If Auto Input Monitoring is switched off, you will always hear the input signal. Auto Input Monitoring, when switched on, also allows you to hear the input source when Logic Pro is stopped, making it easy to set levels." Lets say i have an audio recording on a track from bar 1 to bar 9 and i want to use Autopunch to record over bars 4 and 5. I turn on auto input monitoring, turn off software monitoring and press record. Instead of working as the manual says, i don't hear the input before, during or after the autopunch zone, although it is still recorded on these 2 bars. Before and after the autopunch zone i hear the previous recording but during the autopunch zone i hear nothing. If i turn auto input monitoring off i get the same result. It makes no difference having it turned on or off. If i turn on software monitoring and i press record i hear the input signal before, during and after the autopunch zone whether auto input monitoring is turned on or off. Maybe im not using it correctly, but it just doesn't seem to do anything. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    In that case keep Software monitoring on... But, I agree it doesn't seem to work as explained in the manual! Cheers Rounik
  • Busodeo
    Ok, thanks for your help Rounik, I just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing something wrong. Cheers
  • Zihymua
    In M-Audio manual they tell you why this is happen, it is for latency purpose. ____ Keep in mind that this mixer is for Monitoring only. All the signal received at the hardware inputs are also sent directly to the recording application without being altered. The Monitor Mixer receives duplicates of these input signals to allow you to create a near-zero latency monitor mix M-Audio FireWire interface
  • Rounik Admin
    no problem Futurevibe, infact, this issue is still puzzling me - but I don't have the time right now to investigate it properly.... Take care Rounik
  • Busodeo
    Thanks ALROBI, but its the same even when not using the FW410. I'v tried on three different computers using two different audio interfaces and the built in audio of each computer and i get the same issue. I decided a couple of weeks ago to read the Logic 8 manual from start to finish and there's actually a lot of stuff that doesn't work as described in the manual.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: