macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Witujua
    Layer menu and free floating frames
    I have Logic Pro 8 and after watching tutorials on frameless floating windows and creating and deleting layers from the layer menu, reading the "how to" in the manual, I can't for the life of me find anything that has an option for finding the layer menu in any of the menus in logic. I also can't find the option for frameless floating windows either, its as if my version of logic, version 8.0.2 hasn't any option for these two functions even though the manual shows exactly where they are, only they aren't. Ideas??? Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Layer menu and free floating frames
    Hi Viewing tutorials from DVD? Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure I understand what area of Logic you are talking about in regards to "Layers"! Which tutorial are you referring to? In Logic 8, you can only open a frameless floating window for the Environment. Try holding down Option and selecting: Window > Environment or in an already opened Environment window choose: View > Frameless floating window Cheers Rounik
  • Witujua
    HI Rounik, well, I opened up the environment window first, then hit command 2 to open the mixer window. I clicked on the view window from the mixer window exactly as it it shown in tutorial "148 Frameless Floating Window". Not only is the frameless floating window option not found in the drop down "view menu" but the options themselves are quite different than in the tutorial's Mixer - view menu options. Example: Options in the tutorial's Mixer - view menu are: Protect Cabling/Positions Cables Inspector By Text Import Options Colored Cables Colors Now, the actual options in Logic's Mixer - view menu are listed this way: Add GS/XG effects Follow Control Surface Scroll to Add Signal Flow Channel Strips Folder Tracks Other Tracks Same Instrument Tracks MIDI Track components EQ Thumbnails Inserts Sends I/O Track Name Track Number Colors So I'm confused as to why the tutorial's listing is different than that of my Logic Pro 8's listing. As for the Layer Menu, in the tutorial, it shows the Layer Menu in the inspector window at the very top, it isn't there in my logic program. I went to the online help manual to see how I can add that window itself into the inspector area and the only directions I got were these, but they aren't really the right ones and don't work either. It really shows how to create a new layer, but without the frameless floating window those directions don't work either. All in all, I don't know how to make the layer window show up.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, You're confusing the Mixer Window with the Mixer LAYER in the Environment window. If you look in the tutorial closely, you'll see Martin does not open the Mixer window. He opens the Mixer layer of the Environment window. The name of the window is always shown on the top bar of the window is says: "Recording D-Jo Environment" To select a layer make the Inspector is showing in the Environment, in the top left is a drop down menu. You can select the different ENVIRONMENT layers from here. In tutorial 152, Martin shows you how the different Layers work in the Environment. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Witujua
    Right, however, I have no idea how to find that little area where you can choose to create or delete layers. I guess that I don't know exactly what the environment window is. I have the area where I work on tracks to create music, arrangement window? But I guess I'm am confused. Is the environment area an actual window or is it in the area where the inspector is on the left side of the window? Lets say that I open up a new brand new template. it has a few track already to do. How would you access the environment window if it is part of that which opens up with the track area, can you tell me the steps that I need to take to actualy see the layer menu are on the top left hand side? I'm completely in the dark, don't know what to do at all. Thanks again for your help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, There is one area in Logic - the Arrange area. The rest of the editors found under the Window menu are called Windows. The Environment is explained in the tutorial, but it too is a window. Most windows/area has their own Inspector areas. To toggle the Inspector open/closed for a selected window press "I" or choose: View > Inspector from the window's local menu. At the top of the Inspector for the Environment, you'll see the Layers menu, as Martin Sitter shows in video 152. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Witujua
    what is so frustrating for me is that I keep watching tutorial 152 but can't find that layer menu no matter how hard or what, I try. I know how to access the inspector area, but I just can't seem to find that littel layer menu. Man, I feel like it is impossible to access and don't know what to do, know matter how many times I watch tutorial 152.
  • Rounik Admin
    Ok, let's go through this step by step. Maybe you are trying to find the Layer menu in a frameless floating window? You won't be able to do so - it's not designed that way. First, please answer these questions: - What version of Logic are you using? - What version of OS X are you using? ---------- Please follow these steps: 1. Open a new empty project in Logic. 2. Go to Window > Environment 3. In the Environment window make sure that you can see the Inspector on the left. If not, choose View > Inspector 4. Click on the little downward pointing triangle to view the Layer menu. Here is a picture: [img]http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/8393/picture10fm6.png[/img] Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Witujua
    GOT IT! That's all I needed to know. Thank you very very very much.I have been to the window menu a few times but did not notice the environment option there! That is crazy.. Thank you very much for sticking it out with me
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, No problem! Enjoy the tutorials, and of course feel free to pop back here if you have any questions or just want to find out more tips and tricks. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: