macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ben
    Loops auditioning comes out of random channel strips
    Hey Rounik, I need your expertise on another issue that bugs me. When I audition loops in the Loops Browser Logic sends the audio through a channel strip on my arrange, which would be great to see how that loops sounds with inserted effects had it actually stuck to a selected channel. For some time I thought that the Loops were always playing out of the last channel in the arrange, so I created a channel with no inserts and called it LOOP to stream the loops through it. But now I found out that even that is not the case. I added some loops to a channel and now when I audition other lops they all stream through that channel, whether it's selected or not. I tried moving it up and down in my arrange window to no effect. Any thoughts on the issue?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Loops auditioning comes out of random channel strips
    Hi Ben, When previewing loops, the signal is passed by default though the "Prelisten" channel strip (Audio 256). You can find this in the Mixer window: - Open the Mixer (X) - Click on the "ALL" tab and make sure "Audio" is also highlighted in blue. - Find Audio channel strip 256 :-) Hope that helps! Take care :) Rounik
  • Ben
    Hey Rounik, How interesting. 256.. what made them choose that number? why not 666 :)? Anyway, I looked and I have channel 256 assigned to the metronome and when I audition loops they go through Audio 11 here. It used to go through 10. Is this something you can change in Logic's settings? bewildered, Ben
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ben, Actually this one is logic-al ;-) This is from the manual: "The Prelisten AUDIO channel strip is used for monitoring in the Sample Editor, Audio Bin, Loop Browser, and Browser. It is created automatically in each projectâyou can find it to the right of the highest numbered audio channel strip." For me, in Logic 8.0.2 it is AUDIO channel 256. The metronome (called Click) is NOT an Audio channel strip. It's a software instrument channel strip. I don't think you can change it in preferences - but it's very easy to find in the Mixer, or in a bug project you could create a new layer for it in the Environment...? Here's a pic from an almost empty project showing the prelisten and click: [img]http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1029/picture8hz2.png[/img] Cheers Rounik
  • Ben
    Hi Rounik, Oh I see, there are 256 audio channels in Logic. That makes sense. You see, I must have erased my prelisten channel because i could not find it on the mixer. Can't remember doing it, but it is possible. Anyway, created a new track and assigned it channel 256. Works. I'm content :) Now I only have to wait for tomorrow to contact MOTU and see why my sound stutters with their clock syncing and I'm problem free... for a short while. Have a great day and thanks again.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ben, No probs. RE: MOTU... have you tried raising the Buffer I/O in Logic Preferences > Audio ? Also check to make sure the sample rates are matching in your Logic project and in Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup or your MOTU application? Great day to you too :) Rounik
  • Ben
    Morning Rounik, I set both MOTUs to 256 on both. I know it's low, but I don't record anything at the moment. The thing is that the sound gets choppy.. stutters. I have one slave MOTU connected to a PC with internal clock source and to match its speed the primary MOTU which is connected to the MAC is set to ADAT optical (their connected through ADAT). The thing is that it works part of the time, and sometimes waiting a little gets it to stop stuttering. Very strange. What solves this problem is to set my primary to internal, but that can't work of course because I need to sync it to the other. The stuttering doesn't appear only with Logic. Previewing an audio file in Finder gives the same result, so it's not Logic's fault. If only things would be simple... I just hope my recently acquired Macbook Pro will not prove to be a new challenge. What's your setting?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ben, I change my setting depending on my needs... At the moment I am using an Apogee Duet set to 128 when recording (sometimes 64) and if needed I'll go up to 512 or higher when mixing. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: