macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    NEW Effect & Instrument Randomizer Environment
    Hi, I've just uploaded a new Environment for you all! Call it an early Christmas present if you like it ;-) It's here: [url]http://tnttutorials.macprovideo.com/fileexchange/environments/more_info.php?id=19[/url] & there are full instructions inside. It looks like this when cabled to a soft. inst channel strip: [img]http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3262/picture11li3.png[/img] There are 6 possible parameters that can be randomized. I've set up an example... Logic's transport needs to be running (in play mode) for it to work and there must be a MIDI region already on the soft. inst track too. Please do play around with it and let me know what you think. All forms of feedback are welcome. Yes, even if you think..."what's the point of x?" That's welcome too ;-) Again full instructions are in the Marker List on screenset 1 and screenset 2 contains only the environment. I really hope you enjoy it and find some use for it, and if not, let me know what you feel is lacking. (it is ver.1 and I'd like to improve it) Many thanks, Rounik
  • steveH
    Re: NEW Effect & Instrument Randomizer Environment
    Great work... I love the way you dressed up the macro with the excellent use of ornaments! I'm not sure if it's clear on what track you want us to place a region. A new track that is "patched" to the macro with a region of our choice? Congratulations to Rounik for exploring the environment and creating an application with a a lot of potential! Hey Rounik, let's talk and tweak!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Steve, Thank you! Initially I created a track and assigned "Random Nature" to that track - but I realised yesterday it's not necessary. Hope these steps are clearer: 1. Create a soft. inst track (e.g. Inst 1) and insert instrument of your choice. 2. Record or place an existing MIDI region onto above track: Inst 1. 3. In the Environment cable the object "Random Nature" to Inst 1. 4. Cable the output of Inst 1 to Random Nature (so the Monitor within RN object works. Yes, the design is thanks to my partner (interaction designer)... Well, I've got a lot of questions to ask you Steve. I really want to make this better. Much better! At the moment I have two areas I'd love to work on: 1. Building a sequencer / LFO which can be used to trigger the randomization algorithms. (At the moment it requires MIDI notes to trigger the arpegiators). 2. Being able to record the output as automation data. What do you think?
  • steveH
    Sequencer's/LFO's are interesting topics because the tools are processors not sources. However you can create "control" tracks to trigger and generate all kinds of possibilities. In order to record the data try taking the results thru a transformer set to "Track Automation Splitter". Without diving into your wonderful creation too deeply, I was wondering, due to the looped data between the channel, "random nature" and back whether you are creating some possible problems because I did notice a few occasional cliches. Also, please let me how your dealing with "note off" data and whether it was/is a problem for you.
  • Rounik Admin
    How would one go about creating a "control" track in the Environment? Thanks for the Automation splitter tip! Indeed, it's one (of the many) settings I haven't experimented with yet. Yes, I think the loop between RN and channel may be the cause of some of the glitches. Please do let me know any glitches you find. How am I dealing with "note off" data? Denial :-))) - No problem as yet... One other thing I'd like to be able to do (eventually) is to create a "learn" function for each parameter: - click on a "learn" button for a part - click on a knob or slider of a plug-in Now that parameter is learned to that Part. I know it's possible - just don't have the know-how yet. I'm wading through the deep end, learnin as I go along. The most complex environment I made before this was a bypass all CS FX button! It was so much fun making this though.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Steve, Thanks again for the Transformer (Track Automation Splitter) tip! That feels like another break through for me. So, I've managed to get it working - but I have a few questions... I can't seem to include it within the Macro? I've set it as the Macro-out but when I connect RN (Random Nature) to Inst 1 ... No joy. The Plug-ins don't receive any info and don't get random :( I've made it work by cabling RN to the transformer which goes to Inst 1 & RN to Inst 1 too. But noticed that the automation data is only written to a new channel strip with the same channel as Inst 1! In fact, I've just tried cabling it up as I explained above - and the sound is all short and choppy. As soon as the transformer is disconnected the sound returns to normal. All fader data is being transmitted to Inst 1 regardless though - so it does record automation data - but I can't hear what's going on in realtime. When it works It's brilliant! I was able to record all 6 parts as automation data, hear everything simultaneously, switch some parts to manual mode and play it like an instrument, then listen back and enjoy :-) But, I'm guessing I'm going wrong somewhere here - hopefully something obvious ;) Thanks Steve! Rounik
  • steveH
    In the environment, nothing is obvious! What you should work, often doesn't... hmmm... when I get some time I'll look into it! I kinda remember something about the "A" splitter not playing nice in a macro?!
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, I figured the A splitter wouldn't play ball in a Macro... but the way it behaves when outside the macro has left me perplexed. It isn't consistent... but I'm hopeful it's user error ;)
  • steveH
    No, I've had my issues with it... but there's always hope!
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:4039]... but there's always hope! [/quote] :-) BTW, do you have certain patching conventions you stick by when creating complex environments? Mine ballooned in no time - just want to find ways to streamline the process and keep things organized.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: