macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xidehoy
    Delay Compensation & Outboard Gear
    Hi Steve, hope all is warm where you are. I just watched the Master Serie's PDC chapter (again) and wondering if you could cover strategies for dealing with delay induced by outboard gear? For example, the round trip to and from my lexicon induces about 28ms of delay. Is there a way to tell 'PDC Central' about this delay in the same way a plugin would? Regards, Shaun
  • steveH
    Re: Delay Compensation & Outboard Gear
    Hey Shaun, PDC Central can't communicate with external equipment. However, since pre delay is a big part of using certain FX like reverbs simply build 28 ms into your calculations and adjust the delay on the Lexicon accordingly.
  • Xidehoy
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone developed a plugin such that we could give it a delay value and it would talk to the 'PDC Central' backend bit and thereby adjust for the delay? Woo hoo!
  • steveH
    It is possible, kind of.....Check This out: [url]http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/latencyfixer.html[/url] [img]http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/latencyfixer/latencyfixer.jpg[/img] Latency Fixer The plug-in reports to the host application that it has a latency (controlled by the plug-in parameters) but does not actually apply any processing to the audio signal. This causes the host to use its own latency compensation to advance the audio fed into the plug-in by the requested amount. This is useful to compensate for e.g. routing audio via outboard effect processors, where the audio's journey out of your audio interface and back in to the computer introduces a latency into the signal. For example you may find it useful in conjunction with Logic's Helper->I/O plug-in. For it to work, the host application must support 'plug-in delay compensation' and the feature must be turned on. Recent versions of Logic and Digital Performer support this feature, for example. (Preferences->Audio->General in Logic.) In general applications will not respond to changes in the latency setting during playback. If you need to interactively set the latency, try setting this plug-in to a large setting and then using my Buffer Delay plug-in to experiment with different settings. Once you've found the correct values, subtract the Buffer Delay delay from the latency setting and remove the Buffer Delay plug-in.
  • Xidehoy
    Steve, as I've said before, you are the man. I have adopted you as my surrogate guardian and will be moving in with you next month. Thanks, Shaun PS> Any movement on the Logic certification course?
  • steveH
    Not enuf room! No news on the cert class.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: