macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Burafao
    Macbook or Macbookpro or Imac
    Hi there, i have to travel now and i will have to finish the project i am working on , on the road. If i were to buy a new Mac my first choice would be a 2.66 i-mac. The project i am working on has up to 5 EXS's 4 Space designers 15 tracks of simultaneous audio and say 20 regular plug-ins. Out of the new macbooks, Mb pros' and i-macs with 4gig of ram what will handle this kind of project easily. My G5 imac with 2.5 ram is really pushed with this project. Is a 13 inch screen just to small for Logic? I would imagine so. Even a 15 inch screen would seem tiny after working on my 20 inch i-mac. I am considering buying an ilugger http://www.ilugger.co.uk/ to transport an i-mac if i buy one, it looks like a good enough case for plane travel? Has anyone travelled with an Imac on a plane? Thanks TOM
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Macbook or Macbookpro or Imac
    Hi Tom, I gave up an iMac 2.16 for a MBP 2.4 2GB Ram and 7200rpm drive... It was hard due to the screen real eastate you lose. Apart from that - it's so much easier and more portable! It will make a real difference to be able to quickly pull it out of your bag anywhere and start working on an idea. I'd say that: 5 EXS's 4 Space designers 15 tracks of simultaneous audio and say 20 regular plug-ins should be ok if you've got 4GB of ram & 7200rpm drive. As a test I just created a project with: 15 tracks of simultaneous audio 5 x stereo EXS24 with "Glowing atmo" (playing MIDI regions simultaneously) 5 Stereo Space Designers 15 Tape delays 15 Compressors 15 Adlimiters My Buffer I/O was 512 and this is the highest the cpu meter reached: [img]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3015/picture2se3.png[/img] Bear in mind at Buffer I/O of 256 it did briefly peak - but there were no overloads and everything ran smoothly. I think with 4GB ram it would be even easier on a MacBook Pro - especially the latest generation. The MacBook's screensize might just be too small coming from a 20" and also it has no Firewire ports !!! It's generally accepted that even 1+ year old MBP's outperform G5's on many tasks! Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Burafao
    Rounik, thanks a lot. Brilliant reply. I read some other threads here about the new MBP's not having firewire 400. My WD external HD has 400 and 800, and i have an 800-400 cable so it works on my g5 imac. So would i see a speed increase with an 800 port from the MBP? It is weird that Apple has cut down the ports on their laptops. My Focusrite saffire interface is firewire400, so i guess i would have to go for a 17 inch MBP. Gulp, not cheap. Hmm, the new i-macs are half the price of a MBP just as fast with the same port minus the express port. What would the express port be good for with Logic? Thanks TOM
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, second that, the new macbook pros would be the way forward... so much power... and it's portable! The other thing to bear in mind is that you can freeze your tracks if/when your performance is somewhat sluggish. The other thing to explore outside of the buffer settings are the performance options in the EXS24. 32 floating point calcs verses 24bit and there is also an option relating to how much of the samples are streamed from disk versus what gets put in to RAM. The space designers would take up a good chunk of the processing power, so you will want to buss of as much as you can to the same aux channel... and if you are running large multi samples in your EXS instruments, you might want to stick an external hard drive on to cater for the the samples + other additional audio regions you are working with. Hope that helps :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh yes... external drive - that is also important too. You don't need to go up to a MBP 17" to use FW400... You may be able to daisy chain the external HD and interface... There are cables that connect FW800 to FW400. Do google whether the saffire is ok when daiychained off an HD. A very portable interface is the Apogee Duet. I've got one and it is sweet (and very portable). The ExpressCard/34 slot is very handy. You can buy a card to fit in it to give you extra FW400 and/or 800 connections. You could get an eSATA connection - or loads of USB ports too. It's great having it. I just wish I had a reason to use mine - but I have a FW400 and a FW800 (and yes, my HD connected by FW800 transfers and streams very quickly!) The Express Port would also enable you to expand in the future. Some companies like UAD etc provide DSP powered plug-ins e.g. [url]http://www.uaudio.com/products/uad/index.html[/url] Also, in addition to the good advice Yadj has given (always gives ;) you can always freeze tracks if you need to.
  • Rounik Admin
    @ Yadj Hope all is well mate. Missed your wisdom (especially for video related Q's) recently :) I'll have to moderate myself for going off topic soon, but if you're interested in testing out a Randomization Environment I've made you can find it here: [url]http://tnttutorials.macprovideo.com/fileexchange/environments/more_info.php?id=19[/url] Would appreciate any honest feedback! Of course Tom, you're more than welcome to test it out too if you'd like to! Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hello Rounik! All good this end thanks mate :) But really.... in the world that is sensitive to all things terroristic..... thread Hijacker!!! Finger point finger point! Will check out your environment wizardry and get back to you!
  • Rounik Admin
    LOL! Yes, I might have to review my account now! Please do be brutally honest about the environment (!) ;D And, gee, Yadj, please post your comments in the correct thread! ;-) [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/tips-n-tricks&id=14338[/url] I dunno... all this "Off topic" malarky (mumble, mumble)...
  • Burafao
    Hi Rounik and YDAJ, I do freeze tracks. It takes a little while with a 1 hour song. Its a cd for a Spa company for meditation, so its 1 long trip, If i freeze a track i go and have a coffee. I also use auxes for me reverbs n' things. I like to layer reverbs for texture. HMM, i looked at the EXS24 "options", the floating point stuff, um thats over my head, but it looks interesting. All my audio is on my external firewire drive ( its a 800 firewire with a 800/400 cable ) including the EXS24 instruments. If i had a new mac with a 800 port that would help a lot. Thanks for the info on the express slot. Focusrite recommends that the Saffire needs to be powered by its on supply, mine got fried, so i power the saffire of the firewire bus. Not a good idea when recording when sharing that same bus with my external drive. I was getting lots of pops and crackles, and this is why. So when i record i disconnect my external drive. When i get a power supply for the Saffire hopefully i will be able to have that and the external HD connected at the same time. If i daisy chain which way round would be best? HD- interface- i-mac or interface- HD- i-mac? Thanks for your great help TOM
  • Cajypiu
    Ahh... the old audio soundscape montage journey eh... are there any whale chirps and dolphin natters in there!? The floating point stuff.... just think, more bits = more processing power. Use the Acitivity Monitor application found in your utilities folder to suss out how much RAM is not being utilised and then play with the EXS preferences wrt the disk streaming stuff. It will make sense/ be noticeable when you play around. One thing to note as well, what have you formatted your external drive to? Do you use this drive to connect to other machines? Mac and PC? When interfacing I've always gone Mac - sound card and daisy chain anything else off of the card's spare firewire port. Sound card's are sensitive to buffers and all kinds of other stuff so put them in the line of fire first.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: