macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    Beat Mapping vs. Quantizing Audio
    Heh Rounik/everyone, I have a question about Beat Mapping vs. Quantizing AUDIO. My band just finished recording the drum parts for a song via Pro Tools, and we imported the files into Logic as .wav files, and we're wondering if we should Beat Map or Quantize the drum files????!!!! The song is in 4/4, and the kick drum is 4/4 throughout the whole song, with a few 8th notes thrown in between. The tempo of the song is 127, and I've started Beat Mapping the kick drum and I'm fluctuating b/w 124 b.p.m. & 130b.p.m., so my question is: Would it be better for me to Beat Map the kick drum, or shoule I quantize it to 127b.p.m.???? The only problem that I can see with quantizing the kick drum, is that the original recording of the kick drum has lots/LOTS of bleeding of other instruments into its mic, so I'm not sure if strip silence will work or not! Any advice? Thanks a lot. Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Beat Mapping vs. Quantizing Audio
    Good question Jodie... hmmm... IMHO I'd try both methods and see how they sound. From the original project create one which is quantised straight to 127 and another which you will beat map. It's difficult to advise on this kind of artistic decision from here... and of course, ultimately, you and the band will need to be happy with the results and how it represents your sound... Give both a try and see which you prefer :-) Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    oh and you could always mix the kick with a kick sample to remove some of the bleed. That would be possible using either method though. Cheers Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik, OK, I'll do 2 different versions: 1 Beat Mapped, & 1 Quantized, and I'll mix the kick with a kick sample to try and remove some of the bleeding. Thanks man. Jodie p.s. The 201 tutorial, I just bought it, is AWESOME!!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jodie, Yes, I agree. The 201 tutorial is something special! Let us know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: