macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gebozae
    Using Space Designer in a track region
    I'm fairly new to Logic. I'm creating a narrative piece for radio and want to use the space designer to enhance a portion of my dialogue track, but not the whole track -- essentially adding some subtle reverb to a bit of dialogue which comes in the middle of the track. Is it possible to do this easily in Logic? It seems like once I invoke the space designer it affects the entire track. I suppose I could automate the effect so that it affects only the portion of the track I want, but this seems awkward. Am I better off adding reverb to the track in a less sophisticated program, such as Audacity, where you just highlight the region to which you want to add reverb? The tradeoff is I like the subtle space effects you can get using the space designer. Many thanks for any light you can shed on this. Wayne Liebman
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Using Space Designer in a track region
    Hi Wayne & welcome to the forums :-) You can do this with automation very easily. But it sounds like it may be better for you to either 1. Cut and paste the parts of the audio track to an empty audio track with the space designer on. or 2. Automate the send from the audio track to an Aux with space designer. Sound complicated? Well here's how to do this in the Mixer window: - In the Audio Track's channel strip click on one of the send rectangle's and select Bus 1. - A new Aux is created. You'll see it's I/O section reads: Bus 1 followed by Output 1-2. - Place a space designer on the Aux track. - set the Dry level (right hand side) to 0. Now back to the Arrange, you can automate the level of the audio track's signal sent to the Space Designer. (Look for Main > Send 1 in the Track Header's drop down automation menu.) If you need help on using automation: You can record automation in realtime by clicking on the channel strip's "OFF" button and setting it to touch or latch. Now press play. Adjusting any of the knobs or faders (e.g. the send knob) will record that automation to the selected track. Press stop when finished and set the automation mode to READ. Cheers Rounik
  • Gebozae
    Thanks Rounik, I automated the send from the audio track to an Aux with space designer. That worked well. Very elegant solution. The automation settings are now in an aux (which appears as a sort of phantom track below my vocal track in the arrange workspace.) But if I now move the vocal track, how do I attach the automation settings in the aux so that they move with it, so that I can still hear the reverb when I want it? Or do I need to record automation directly into the vocal track in order that it move with the track? (Noodling around, I actually did succeed in copying the automation settings from the Aux into the vocal track, but I can't make them move with the track (even with the automation preferences set to allow it.) Thanks. Wayne Liebman
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Wayne, Unless you want to automate certain parameters of the Space Designer plug-in, there needn't be an automation data on the AUX track. What I proposed was to automate the "send level" knob on the Audio Track. That way the automation data is on the audio track only - no need for an Aux track in the Arrange. If you want to copy/move the automation, you'll need to move it to a region. So, in regards to the AUX track: - Create an empty region on the AUX track and stretch it to desired length (to fit automation on it) - Select: Options > Track Automation > Move All/Current Track Automation data to Region - Now, select both the vocal region and the "Automation region". Moving them together. Although the solution of sending to and Aux is elegant ;-) it may be easier, if you intend to move some of the vocal regions around after writing automation, to create a new audio track (with Space designer) and place the vocal regions you want to be effected by reverb. That way, automation can be automatically moved with regions. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Gebozae
    Rounik, Okay, I get what you mean. That works. Thanks very much for your patience and instruction. Peripheral question: I had wondered if what I wanted to do would be easier in Soundtrack Pro (I have both Soundtrack Pro and Logic tutorials from Mac Pro Video.) It seemed not. In fact, I wondered if there was anything Soundtrack Pro did that Logic couldn't do as well. I'm currently focused on learning Logic, and I'm thinking it would be purely redundant to learn Soundtrack Pro at this point--extra time without much gain. Any thoughts?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Wayne, No problem! Now you mention it, actually STP2 could do what you want in an easier way! You just need to - import your audio file into STP2 - select an area of the audio region. - choose Process > Effects > Reverb > Space Designer - click "Apply" on the Space deginer plug-in to apply the effect to that selection only. Once you are happy with the results, save it as a different file name (to preserve the original file) and select Process > Flatten all actions. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: