macProVideo.com
Forums
  • guitarbloke
    follow tempo / time stretch
    Hi when i record audio i can slow things down with "follow tempo". How is this different to "graphical time stretching". cheers Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: follow tempo / time stretch
    Hi Rob, By "graphical time stretching" do you mean option dragging a region's right edge in the Arrange area to time stretch it? Follow tempo will adjust the region to any tempo changes in realtime within your project. The "time stretch method" will change the duration of the region (speed it up or slow it down) - not necessarily in accordance to the tempo of the project. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • guitarbloke
    Hi Rounik, yes by graphical time stretching i mean option dragging right edge of region. What i dont understand is how when using follow tempo that it slows it down but the length of the region remains the same? Its like dr whos tardis!! me no understand. Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rob, Yes, Logic IS the tardis ;-)) Basically, Logic's grid is dependent on Logic's tempo. So a 4 bar loop at 120 bpm when you manually time stretch it (option-drag) can then be made (for example) into an 8 bar loop at 120bpm or a 2 bar loop etc. The tempo stays the same, the loop is stretched plays back slower or faster etc - the region is longer or shorter. Now, when you enable "follow tempo" on a loop or pre-recorded audio, let's say the tempo is 120bpm and we have a 4 bar loop... It won't change the length of the loop because Logic's grid reflects the tempo change and the 4 bar loop is still a 4 bar loop no matter what the tempo is changed to. In fact, if the region length changed, then the loop would not be syncing to Logic's tempo or grid. Hope that makes sense ;-) Rounik
  • guitarbloke
    ofcourse. I get it. so midi tracks automatically go with the tempo?
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:17424]ofcourse. I get it. so midi tracks automatically go with the tempo?[/quote] Yup! MIDI events are already aligned to Logic's grid, so they automatically follow Logic's grid/tempo changes :-)
  • guitarbloke
    Thanks Rounik. Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, I agree. It depends on the whether the material is harmonic or percussive... Also, using Follow tempo can be useful to preview what a project would sound like with small adjustments to the tempo. Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, just my two cents on this one. The success of the time stretching will be dependent on a few things. How much you are speeding up and slowing down the material, what kind of material is it and the kind of algorithm used. Changes of more then 8% will be introducing artifacts that will sound unpleasant. That said, I have heard shifts of 45% on CDJs that sound very very convincing... and with pitch retention too. The kind of material as Rounik pointed out is pretty important too. Fast percussive sounds can be tweaked a bit further as there is generally silence in between the notes... and if you have access to breakpoint software such as Recycle, Phatmatik Pro or any other splicing sampler software, you just time stretch the triggering and not the notes themselves which sound very realistic. Logic has a few algorithms for processing different types of material.... it pays to experiment here. Not sure which one the follow tempo defaults too off hand but it might be worth looking at setting it as an Apple Loop and looking at the transient splice points with the Apple Loop Utility. Or use Melodyne :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, very true guys! Jobkey, do you mean bounce the whole project to an apple loop or turn each track into an apple loop? I've only ever done the later with good results - and love the way you can manually adjust the transients.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: