macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    IMac vs. Tower...
    Hi there. I currently run Logic 8 on my pre-Intel single processor 1.6 kHz IMac (OS 10.4.11; 2 MB RAM), but I'm in the market for an upgrade. I often run into problems when I use many tracks (8-14), especially when using a variety of sounds and plug-ins; it simply bogs down and stops running. I am on my way to becoming a pro, but I'm not there yet, so I don't think I'll be working at a huge scale quite yet, though I have done orchestral pieces with 40+ total tracks of virtual instruments. I would love to be able to do so without being forced to bounce down every few hours. I'd like some opinions on the two choices I'm considering: 24" IMac or an entry-level Mac Pro tower. The price of the tower is likely about a thousand more than the IMac, but if I use higher quality orchestral sample banks, will I encounter the same problem on the newer IMac?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: IMac vs. Tower...
    Hi Sammy, This is a tough question to answer... A year or so ago I would have advised the Mac Pro hands down, but the recent iMacs are very powerful. It's likely you'll be able to do 40 tracks - depends on the virtual instruments. Of course, the Mac Pro's are expandable and you can add and use a variety of hardware that will keep it as a viable option for your studio for longer than an iMac. If money & space were of no concern I would suggest the MacPro... However, there are rumors that the iMac will be getting a quad core processor sometime soon... and the MacPro is also due for a new model release: [url]http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac[/url] Hope this helps, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: