macProVideo.com
Forums
  • GxL
    Multipressor and Channel EQ on final PA mix?
    Hi folks, I'm torn between two schools of thoughts. I was thinking to use Multipressor and ChannelEq (and maybe Limiter) on the output of my PA console (obviously it's a live concert). A friend of mine argues that nobody uses multiband compression on live mixes, only in mastering studios. Maybe he's right but I would like to hear it from more people (experts). It is a higher profile concert event and therefore I am looking at further improving my PA mix sound but also need to ensure reliability. Do you think LP8 can do it and maintain low latencies so that it will not be perceivable? I was planing to set up my LP8 on my MacBook 2.1G (2GB RAM) with SW monitoring on and feed it from and to (in/out) my ESU1808 interface. Does anybody have good or bad experience with such a setup? I don't plan to do any tracking on that machine. There is going to be a separate G5 machine setup for tracking. Any opinion and experience would be highly appreciated. What are your experiences? Thanks in advance GxL
  • GxL
    Re: Multipressor and Channel EQ on final PA mix?
    OK, now I have an answer to my own Q. The Multiband compression on a live sound is a bad idea. The main reason is that to make it sound good one needs to set the parameters very carefully which is possible in the studio environment after multiple passes of listening, which is not possible in live productions. An incorrectly set Multiband compressor would make the sound much worse than no compression at all. Another point I heard is that the final mix of FOH should rather not be compressed - if at all maybe limited with limiter but even that should be set very conservatively. So here it is, I thought I'd share my finding here. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Multipressor and Channel EQ on final PA mix?
    Hi GxL, Thanks for posting your answer ;-) In theory (because I've never tried this) I would agree and wouldn't use a multiband compressor for a live performance. I'm moving this thread to the Logic section - I think it'll get more attention there! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: