macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mike Oscar
    Just What is Environment For?
    OK. This is really going to show how much I don't know about Logic but one question has been bugging me for ages and it is this. What, in the Environment, can one do that cannot be done elsewhere in Logic(8). What is it that causes experienced users to be enthusiastic about the power (unexplained) of Logic Pro's Environment window. Is it just a convenient (once you've understood it), graphical(?) way to do certain things? What would I lose if I simply made no attempt to understand it or to use it?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Just What is Environment For?
    Hi Mike Welcome to the forums! The Environment is where all audio and MIDI connections are made in Logic. It's like an old style studio where you had to patch/cable mixing desks, tracks, etc together is done. Of course, you can do much, much more (which is why many Logic users love it so much). You don't have to use it. In fact in Logic 8, you can create tracks and assign them to various tasks without needing to delve into the underbelly of Logic ;-) In short, making music in Logic does now need the Environment. However, every DAW has an "environment". Logic gives you amazing access whereas others don't. Using the Environment doesn't need to be scary - sure it can seem intimidating at first, but I'd urge every Logic user to explore it a little... What can the Environment do for your music? A few examples: ⢠Use Logic's arpeggiator (can be as simple as creating a new arp, cabling it to a SI channel strip, creating a track in the Arrange for the Arp and pressing play!) ⢠Transform MIDI events in real time. ⢠Setup a chord memorizer so you can play complex chords with one finger. ⢠randomize a plug-ins parameters in real-time: [url]http://tnttutorials.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/tips-n-tricks&id=14338[/url] ⢠give you control over your MIDI instruments ⢠give you imense control over your virtual instruments and change the way you make music. ⢠create delay lines... (this is just the short -late night- version) If you're interested in the Environment, check out Steve H's Logic 303: TNT 1 & 2 - there is much joy to be had in the environment. If you have any further questions, let me know :-) Cheers Rounik
  • Mike Oscar
    Thanks Rounik. As I now understand it I can, within limits, get by without ever going to the Environment window but there are numerous, mostly advanced, things that can only be done there. So, sooner or later I need to get to grips with the Environment and learn how to use the capabilities to be found there. Thanks agin for your help. Mike
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mike That's right. A basic understanding of what it is and does would be useful - but you can get into it as and when you want and/or need. You're not alone. Many Logic users start off having heard stories of a scary Environment etc etc. I didn't really use it for the first year. If macprovideo &Steve H had been producing tutorials when I started out, I would have got into the Environment a lot quicker! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: