macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bongolicious
    set up ??? via firewire
    running audio interface via firewire thru 400 port which only leaves the 800 port available, so how are you guys setting your externals?? I have 2 external harddrives but both are 400???
    Re: set up ??? via firewire
    http://www.g-technology.com/Products/Accessories.cfm This site gives you cables that allow you to connect 400 to 800
  • Zihymua
    There is a cheaper way, if your full of cables 400 there is a small adapter 400to800 made by Sonnet[url]http://www.cdw.ca Hope it help
  • Bongolicious
    does havinf 2 firewire devices connected @ once affect the recording process or cpu???
    This one is beyond me but if you are recording to the internal drive having several firewire drives attached will not bother affect the recording, only if you would be recording to the firewire drive might you have a bottleneck.
  • Rounik Admin
    There might be a bottleneck if you are recording multiple tracks to the external... But I don't think you will notice much of an issue running two daisy chained FW400 HD's - especially if only one is being recorded to. Cheers Rounik
  • Bongolicious
    so do you guys record on tracks from external? get a firewire device that has a faster speed than mac book pro run logic on mbk harddrive but tracks from external??
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, I've done both - recorded to external HD and internal. In theory and for most people, in practice, recording to your boot disk is not as efficient. If you MBP has a 5400 rpm drive then getting a FW drive with 7200 rpm would be better for recording to or streaming samples from. However, you know that MBP's can be bought with a 7200rpm drive. That's what I use, and it works well. If you're only recording one track at a time then you may not notice the difference. If you are streaming large sample libraries (e.g. Omnisphere) then you may be very happy with a 7200rpm ext. drive. Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Guys, Here's what I've found works for me: I keep all my Applications on my Internal Drive... I write and save my Projects to an external Firewire 400 7200rpm Drive... and I file/back-up all my ' stuff ' on a fast USB 2 7200rpm 500 gig external drive. All seems to work well. Also any Project that is 'Completely Finished' I burn to Disk... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Bj, Very good point about backing up projects. By the way, all of the Pro Apps MUST reside and be run from the startup drive (the Mac HD in most cases). Samples, projects and recorded audio can be run from an external HD as you're saying :-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: