macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bongolicious
    Re: set up ??? via firewire
    thanks for that Gents, To cleaify?? do you looswe anythiing when running a firwire 400 thr the 800 port any cons vs pros?
  • Cajypiu
    Hello mate, you don't loose anything at all running firewire 400 devices in a firewire 800 port. It's just a cable at the end of the day and they are backwards compatible. As Rounik mentioned, it kind of depends on how many tracks you are trying to record, and playback/ stream (including samplers and samples) at the same time. FWIW, firewire 400 can pass through 34MB ish a sec sustained. Better than USB2 for sustained, not peak transfer. As a point of reference, I'm working on a friends iMac, old type not spanky new silver ones, everything is off the internal drive and we have around 100 tracks running at the same time. 20 of those are software instruments, the rest audio. I am still able to record 3 tracks at a time on top of that without any issues. 512 buffer setting, not many plugs on top of that though apart from compressors where necessary and a reference reverb for the singer. If in doubt, try it!
  • Rounik Admin
    + 1 to what Yadj says. There should be no problem plugging a FW400 through a FW800 port. Also, I have an admission to make... I'm running a MBP 2.4 7200rpm internal drive as my main machine these days - and I've become used to recording and streaming everything to & from my internal drive with the exception of Omnisphere which resides on a FW800 drive... I occasionally record 2 tracks in at a time and have easily run 25 - 35 tracks in some projects... about half being SI tracks and the rest audio... Even if you reach the dreaded "Disk too slow" or other error message, you can always freeze tracks in Logic (which essentially renders them to audio).... As John says, give it a shot, see what your system can handle, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: