macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sealion
    audio monitoring - why is there no sound?
    I'm new to Logic and I'm having some basic difficulties. I usually monitor through headphones out of the back of the computer. As soon as I plug in the firewire of my analog to digital device (Presonus), Logic goes completely silent. Sound no longer comes out of the "headphones out" - not the other audio tracks that have already been recorded or software instrument tracks. I can only monitor by plugging headphones into the Presonus even though the computer's Preferences > Sound > Output is set for the internal speakers (not the Presonus), and I've clicked on "software monitoring", "input monitoring" in Logic. I hope there's some "internal speakers monitor" option somewhere. Many thanks for help in this regard.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: audio monitoring - why is there no sound?
    Hi Sealion, & welcome to the forums ;-) This is normal behaviour in Logic. If you set your audio device (in Logic) as the presonus then all audio will come in and out through the Presonus regardless of your sound System Preferences in OS X. The way around this (if you want to combine audio interfaces, e.g. use the audio in from the internal Mac sound card and the audio out from the Presonus or vice versa) is to create an "Aggregate device". BTW, why do you want to monitor your audio from your Mac's sound card and not the Presonus? Here is a link to the Apple knowledge base article on how to create an Aggregate device: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Zihymua
    I dont know if it depend on Mac model, but with MacPro, system preferences sound it is completely independent from in and out sound in Logic. That is a great feature let say you bounce a project, you open this aiff file and open it with QuickTime you dont have to switch nothing the file will play with built in in and out. It is fun to be able to do this it permit to check your mix in a Satellite audio system to have a feeling how it is sound for someone who just have cheap audio system PS Sometime you feel your sound it is great in Studio monitors and when you listen it in regular audio system it is not that good it is sometimes over powered or the opposite.
  • sealion
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for your immediate response - very impressive! I checked out how to set up an aggregate device and played around with many different configurations (including those in the instructions of course). Unfortunately, I was not able to achieve having sound coming in through the Presonus and out through the computer's built-in "headphones out". In response to your question: My previous computer (pre-intel mac) couldn't handle the Presonus if I had more than 3 or 4 tracks in the project or any effects at all. Garageband would invariably crash. I got used to plugging the Presonus in only under certain conditions. Perhaps this will no longer be an issue... Thanks again!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi sealion, No problem! Thank you. What is your audio interface? The presonus...? Do you have the latest drivers for it? Are you running Logic 8.0.2 with latest Logic and pro app updates? Well, I'd be shocked if your intel iMac choked using the Presonus interface when running 3-4 tracks... it just shouldn't happen ever. So, using the presonus' headphone outs should make life easier on you and give you better sound quality anyway.... but... You should be able to create an aggregate device. So, I have a couple more questions for you: In Logic did you select the aggregate device? Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [Device] Then cick "Apply Changes" Also, can you tell me what your Buffer I/O size is from the same window above, and what sample rate is your project: File > Project Settings > Audio Cheers Rounik
  • sealion
    Hi Rounik, RE: The interface; The only external audio interface I have is the Presonus - it's about 3 years old. I haven't updated it at all. It didn't occur to me that I could update it. I'm presently looking into that (dealing with Presonus isn't as straight forward as macprovideo)! Thanks for the suggestion. RE: Logic; I'm running Logic Pro 8.0.2, last updated about 2 weeks ago (yup - I tried to hook up the Presonus AFTER I updated Logic). RE: changing the aggregate device; I followed the instructions, going through the process a couple of times to make sure I hadn't missed something. The buffer is set to 256. I presume this is the default setting, as I never changed it. The sample rate is 44.1 khz. I'll run my monitors/headphones out of the Presonus in my next focused recording session. Hopefully, that'll start tomorrow! I'm not sure what your connection is to the mac-pro-video people, but the tutorials are top notch so far. Although I figured out a lot of the material on my own just by experimenting, there are countless revelations still to be gleaned from the videos. I'm also really impressed with your assistance. You folks are running a tight operation! Thanks again.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sealion, Thank you for your kind words! RE: The interface: Presonus is the company name. What is the name of your interface itself, e.g. Firebox, Fireface, etc. Let's get you up and running monitoring using an audio interface first... then in time look at the aggregate device setup. Although you may not even want to look at it as hopefully your audio interface will be doing it's job :) The I/O Buffer size is very important! Basically, the lower the buffer size, the less latency you will get when recording. A Higher buffer size is less taxing on your mac's cpu, which means you can use more plug-ins - and is recommended during mixing. You see when it comes to Buffer size, there not really a default. It's a good idea to find the lowest setting you can use to have acceptable latency and performance. Cheers, let us know how your session goes, Rounik p.s. you can download any firmware updates for your interface from the Presonus website: [url]http://presonus.com/[/url]
  • Zihymua
    Hi i tried to go basic to know if your Presonus the way it is it is compatible with your system. First shut down your computer next switch on your Presonus Start your computer Now open your System Preferences Click on Sound Do you see your Presonus in the window it should be appear on the last line Replied if it is a Yes or No We will go further
  • sealion
    Hi ALROBI, Thanks for your offer. I appreciate it. I've got this issue wrapped up.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sealion, Glad to know it's all wrapped up now. What was the solution? Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: