macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mikey52
    Upgrade to Leopard...
    Hey guys, I upgraded to Leopard last night and today I tried to launch logic, and I'm getting the "This application unexpectedly quit" every single time I try to open it. I've even tried to open several different projects, but it never even gets past the opening startup..... What should I do? I need it for work asap
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Upgrade to Leopard...
    Hello mate, we're gonna need more details than that unfortunately. Computer, CPU, RAM, version of Leopard you have, version of Logic, Quicktime.... and anything else you think we should know! Cheers, j
  • mikey52
    Hey you got it! Intel-Mac Pro tower (desktop) Mac OS X version 10.5.6 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 7GB of 667 MHz RAM Logic ver 8.0.2 Quicktime 7.6
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mikey, Have you done any software updates? e.g. Pro App updates? Have you tried restarting your Mac & repairing permissions: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    7GB of RAM?? That's unusual. Is everything paired RAM wise? Normally you'd chuck in 6GB or 8GB. Looks like you've got a kick arse setup though so congrats! 10.5.6 has caused a few issues for people so I hear, but I haven't had any experience with it myself as I haven't gone there! Have you tried trashing your preferences? username> Library>Preferences>com.apple.logic.pro.plist and com.apple.logic.pro.cs Try putting them on your desktop to begin with, don't biff them straight away, and try and restart logic. DId you upgrade logic from 7 to 8 as well? As in, did you need your dongle to upgrade for it to register? You may or may not need it when upgrading OSX as well.... thinking out loud more than anything there. Cheers, j
  • Rounik Admin
    Deleting the pref's is a good idea... but try a simple restart & repairing permissions first... Upgrading OS... pretty sure you don't need a dongle for that... but it depends on how the upgrade was done. If you cloned your mac (you did backup didn't you?), and then erased the HD and then installed Leopard fresh... and then Logic, then it should, in theory, be completely fine. 10.5.6 seems pretty safe from my experience - although I've only been using it for 2 weeks or so. Let us know how you get along with the steps above. Best Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    I was just wondering because of the license dockets to particular machines and those machines being identified by their stats... OS being one of them. Info on whether you bought Logic 8 from the upstart or upgraded it from 7 or otherwise would be handy. Good to know 10.5.6 is good though!
  • mikey52
    Yeah I had already done that.. I checked for all updates on this computer and I had repaired all permissions last night actually... as far as the Leopard update, I just put the disk in and it updated the OS... so I don't know... I'm gonna look into the preferences thing next.... I just have a TON of presets that I realllly don't want to lose
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mikey, Sure, I understand... Do what Yadj says and drag your Logic preference file (plist)to your desktop - don't trash it for now. When doing a major OS upgrade e.g. 10.4 to 10.5 on any machine intended for Pro Use (i.e. you make your living off it) it's a better idea to clone, format and then reinstall all from scratch, rather than installing on top of. Having said that I don't always follow my own advice - and I've been fine. Let us know if moving the prefs (which essentially allows Logic to recreate it's global pref's works. How far exactly does Logic get in the startup process. Do you see any splash screens? Any drivers loading? Lastly, and very importantly, have you updated any / all MIDI drivers for any ext hardware equipment you have - so it's compatible with Leopard? Can you list all hardware you are using? And try disconnecting everything, restarting and then open Logic. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:3745]I was just wondering because of the license dockets to particular machines and those machines being identified by their stats... OS being one of them. Info on whether you bought Logic 8 from the upstart or upgraded it from 7 or otherwise would be handy. Good to know 10.5.6 is good though![/quote] Hey Yadj, Yeah, I think that's only an issue if you format your drive and then install the OS and then Logic from scratch. Otherwise, Logic keeps a file somewhere deep within OS X's secret file structure that keeps it authorized even if you do upgrade the OS on top of the previous version. Cheers R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: