macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mikey52
    Re: Upgrade to Leopard...
    It always seems to be stopping on initializing core audio..... If I have to end up re-installing will that ensure it working? And what would be the best steps for that if I wanted to keep my presets?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mikey, 1. Try opening Logic by bypassing core audio: Click on Logic to open it and then hold down the Ctrl key. Select No - when asked whether to initialise core audio. 2. Not necessarily. It depends on how you install it. - better to answer my questions about the extra hardware you are running before going down that route. 3. What do you mean by presets? Do you mean Channel strips settings, plug-in presets? Or other things? --------- * Do you have ay 3rd party plug-ins on your system. If so which ones? They could be crashing Logic under Leopard...
  • mikey52
    okk.... so Bypassing the core audio allowed me to open it up. But it looks super empty and I'm wondering if having those preferences on my desktop is causing that. The real question is what does that mean now... 2. My hardware: I use the Apogee Ensemble Audio interface and a studiologic controller. I had gone to the Audio/midi section in utilities last night as well and tested the controller and it was all good. 3. I have a ton of 3rd party plugins, everything from waves, Guitar Rig 3, East West symphonic orchestra, Ivory, etc...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mikey, Not sure if I understand you completely. I should be clear that when troubleshooting it's best to do one step at a time. Deleting the preferences file in Logic will not make Logic look sparse. The preferences file contains the global pref's for Logic which can very occasionally become corrupted. If you can open Logic because you disable core audio then we have narrowed down the issue to a core audio conflict. Please unplug all ext hardware and restart your Mac if you haven't already done this. The most likely culprit is often an incompatible 3rd party plug-in and/or interface or controller and/or drivers for above which are not up to date. Something you can do is move the .component files for your 3rd party plug-ins from User/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ to a differen location and then restart Logic (without disabling core audio). If Logic seems to work ok, I would urge you to check for the most up to date versions for all your 3rd party plugs & hardware on the manufacturer websites. BTW, especially check Waves! Add one component back to the original folder at a time and then start Logic up... it's like trial and error to find the plug-in that may be causing problems. Let me know in as much detail as possible what the results are for all/any of the above. Cheers Rounik
  • mikey52
    the components folder is empty....? and would unplugging all external hrdwre include the Apogee Ensemble?
  • Rounik Admin
    there are two components folders hd/library/ etc etc & user/username/library/ etc etc check them both. [quote:19107] and would unplugging all external hrdwre include the Apogee Ensemble?[/quote] Yes!
  • mikey52
    the drama continues.... first I should say how encouraging it is to have you help with this matter. I hope we can figure it out. Thank you so much Ok I unplugged my controller and the apogee ensemble. Restarted. Still bugged out at the core audio section. Right after that, I moved the component folder (it was the one in the hd that had all the files) to my desktop. Re-tried. No love.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mikey, No problem! I also hope we can figure this out... I'm based in the UK - it's 2am here - so I'm gonna sleep on this now and will post here again tomorrow. In the meantime, if you haven't already, go to the apogee website and check for and install the latest drivers for Leopard. Also, do you have any other music related apps on your system? Reason, etc...? btw, don't move the component folder - just the files within it and then restart and the mac and then try Logic again. Also, check your Applications/Utilities/ Audio MIDI setup - just have a look... :-) Cheers Rounik p.s. stay positive. At worst if nothing works, we'll go the route of formating your HD and re-installing everything from scratch - but hopefully there's an easier solution before we get to that stage! And even we do need to do that, I'll let you know how to backup all your important plug-in presets, your own created apple loops & Logic samples etc. :-)
  • mikey52
    Thanks so so much I'll look forward to talking tomorrow. I'm here in Hollywood, CA. So I'll post later if it looks like we are gonna need to go the long route.
  • mikey52
    Something that may help shed some light....or not I went back and held down ctrl to bypass the core audio. That worked and I opened up an old template. What was weird, was there was no library. No logic plugins. No third party plugins. I went to the loops browser and those were all there. Then I went and checked the preset channel strip settings. I loaded a random setting, warm string section, from 06 Pop Strings. The compressor, exciter, space designer, and EXS24 appeared on the channel, but they all had a line running through them diagonally, like I didn't own the plugin. Now maybe this is because I bypassed the core audio, and I just don't realize what that entails. or maybe not... talk soon
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: