macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Alex Commins
    Question about when to dither in a bounce.
    i record in 24 bit wav files. one of the turorials mentions that logic uses 32 bit floating point. questions: 1. when i bounce to make a CDDA, i always dither to 16 bit. am i right that if i did not dither to 16 bit, then it would burn a 24 bit CDDA (or, does it automatically dither to 16 bits when making a CDDA) 2. when i bounce to an mp3 file, do i need to dither to 16 bits, or does it automatically convert the 24 bit files to mp3 (which, for all i know is 16 bit). 3. i, of course, always bounce them as 24 bit files (not dithering) when i take them to be mastered. 3. when i bounce a number of songs (projects) which i want to then import into waveburner so that i can put a number of mixes on one cd to listen to to review, i typiclly bounce each song dithering it to 16 bits. then, when i import them into waveburner, they are already 16 bit wavs. then, i simply burn them to a cd (from waveburner), by simply clicking the burn icon in waveburner (not telling it that i want a CDDA, for instance). the cd always seems to play fine on all cd players (though i never told waveburner to make a CDDA, though it was burning files that were already dithered to 16 bit files,though they were still wav files). my question is, when i bounce the files from logic in order to be able to import them into waveburner, do i even need to dither them down to 16 bits, or can i just bounce in 24 bits, then import the 24 bit bounces into waveburner. when i burn them in waveburner, does it automatically convert it to 16 bits (or would it, in that case, burn a 24 bit cd out of waveburner). in other words, waveburner seems to burn a CDDA without me telling to do anything but burn -- is it thus doing all the files "bit" (24 to 16) and "type" (i.e., wav files to CDDA's) conversions on its own, or does it need to start with a 16 bit file? sorry for the long question!!!! peace - alex
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Question about when to dither in a bounce.
    Hi Alex, 1. Standard Audio CD's can only support 16bit 44.1Khz. Waveburner will convert the sample rate and bit depth to match CD spec. 2. mp3's AFAIK use a different method of encoding to PCM (non compressed audio files). Dithering is an option for PCM (aiff and wave etc) but not for mp3. 3. You don't need to dither them to 16bit in Logic first. Waveburner will do it for you. Same goes for sample rate, but I'd recommend doing sample rate conversion in Logic first. Waveburner's main function is as a red book compliant CD mastering/burning app. That means any CD burned in waveburner should be readable in all CD players. Hope that answers the questions :-) Cheers Rounik
  • Alex Commins
    Thank you so much. You cleared up my main question which was about burning from Waveburner. Now I see that I can simply import my 24 bit bounce as a wav file into Waveburner and when I ultimately burn a CD from Waveburner it automatically dithers to 16 bit and makes a CDDA file (i.e., it automatically does the whole process for making a CDDA without me having to do anything additionally to the files). I cannot tell you how much MacProVideo has helped me. The videos are fantastic, and I have recommended you to other Logic users. Peace - alex
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Alex! Glad it's helped & thank you for your kind words. Cheers Rounik
  • les Parker
    ive just been picking through steve h's mastering lessons, and he emphasizes only dithering once and demonstrates it as part of mastering within logic without any reference to waveburner. if using wave burner when the song has been dithered down in logic, does waveburner re-dither it?
  • steveH
    Yes... dither only once, it is the absolutely last step! regarding WaveBurner: You can turn Dithering off in the bounce preferences (which affects the burn also) if you've already dithered in Logic. I didn't cover WB in my mastering tutorial because we have an excellent WB tutorial by the great JF Brissette!
  • Rounik Admin
    Ahh... Steve, you got there just before me, so here's the link to JF's brilliant tutorials on Waveburner: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/waveburner[/url] :) Rounik
  • les Parker
    i have the WB tutorial. jut confused about how to master in logic and get to WB and a final burn without redithering. so, looks like turning the dithering off in WB is the ticket. does it need to be turned back n for the CD burn or just left off entirely if the tracks are pre-dithered in logic? steve's mastering lesson was the missing link for me in this process. thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Les, It can be left off entirely if you have dithered once having converted your file from 24bit to 16bit. So, to clarify: - If you master in Logic and dither when bouncing from Logic. No need to dither again. - If you bounce from Logic without dithering and master in Waveburner then you should enable dithering in Waveburner when burning to disc. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: