macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Alex Commins
    When to use Overlap and when to use No-Overlap?
    I asked this aquestion of another Logic user, and they weren't sure either. And it is really not addressed in any of your tutorials (that I've found). You might want to add this to one. Maybe in Tips and Ticks. Two related questions: 1. What is the logic for when to use "overlap" and when to use "no-overlap?" Does some of it depend on whether you might need to further edit (changing region length) in the area you just put the new region? Or, if not, what is the logic for when to use which one? 2. Once you have finished the edit, if you used overlap, do you want to then "remove overlaps" or just leave it as it is? And why would you remove overlpas if that's what you need to do. Again, thanks so much for all your tutorials. They are THE BEST. I could never have learned this program as well without y'all. I've recommended yout o many other users. peace - alex
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: When to use Overlap and when to use No-Overlap?
    Hi Alex, There are a few different uses..... I use no overlap mode when I want to quickly shorten an existing region with the beginning or end of a region I move to that point in the Arrange. e.g. I've recorded a voice over. I want to quickly edit parts of the voice over out. Get ride of them. Using 'No Overlap' mode IMHO is quicker than using the Marquee tool or scissors.... but it's all down to your own workflow. I use Overlap mode if I'm moving regions around and don't want to shorten an existing region that I "overlap" or place a region ontop of... e.g. Very useful if in the voice over the first region ends with a phrase. The second region begins with the same phrase. Placing the 2nd region over the phrase in the 1st region... means you will hear only the audio region on top. Select the other region to hear that. ---- OK. That's audio regions. Overlap mode with MIDI regions allows you to quickly place multiple regions (e.g. kick region, snare, HH, etc) ontop of each other and you will hear them all.... No overlap mode with MIDI regions: Dropping a region so it overlaps an existing MIDI region will split it at that point. Same advantages to using this mode with audio regions. It's all down to your own workflow and I'm sure there must be many other ways to use these features. Cheers! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: