macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cajypiu
    Logic to Pro Tools
    Kia Ora Guys, I used to know this step pretty well but I've been asked to prep the project I'm working on for Pro Tools and I'm wondering what the best format is. If Pro Tools has the upgrade plug in it can talk to OMF files but you obviously loose pan and volume data. SDII has time stamp facility so I could use that, but the bit I'm just trying to suss out at the moment is the whole getting all of the tracks to start at 1 1 1 1 at the moment. I thought you had to record some silence and put that at the start of each audio track that didn't start at 1 1 1 1 but it didn't appear to make any difference. Has anyone got any tried and tested work flows they could share!? Cheers, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic to Pro Tools
    [quote:3745] Has anyone got any tried and tested work flows they could share!? [/quote] Unfortunately not - at least not Logic to Pro tools... does it not work for you bouncing each track to Wave from 1 1 1 1 in Logic? If you've a lot of tracks to bounce, I feel for you ;-) If the tracks have volume of pan automation then "File > export to audio files" the tracks is a no go.... Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hummmm.... cheers Rounik.... try 134 at my last count! It's more the making sure they all start at 1 1 1 1 as I've had mixed success even with putting dummy regions in. OMF has worked in the past but I know Pro Tools is a little funny about them.
  • Rounik Admin
    What about if you place empty regions in and merge all regions on the track? Would that work when transferring to PT?
  • Cajypiu
    Tried that too and that way I did was, insert some digital silence, loop it up to next region and merge. Just seems quite a bit of work for every track and I was wondering if there was a smarter way!
  • Rounik Admin
    no smart ways here :( But, just want to understand the issue a little more... When you use File > Export all tracks... Pro tools can't see the silence in the beginning of the resulting audio files? or You've got volume and pan automation on some tracks so would prefer not to use the export all tracks feature?
  • Rounik Admin
    Ok! So perhaps there is a smart way. It involves bouncing all in realtime - but should be a time saver. If your project is 135 tracks big... well, perhaps consider doing this in smaller chunks of 10/20 whatever your system can handle. Send from the first 20 tracks to separate buses. Create 20 more audio tracks and set the inputs to those buses. Record enable all these audio tracks. (Might be easier to do this in the Create Tracks window). Solo the first 20 tracks you want to bounce down start recording. I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of anyone else who finds this, remember to set the recording file type to "wave" in Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio [General] Would that help? Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hummm.. now there's a thought. Whenever I tried to export tracks from Logic for Pro Tools in the past, the audio files would tend not to line up from the start. And I guess I haven't found a tried and tested technique, I don't use tools myself so haven't experimented a great deal, to swap files efficiently. Incidentally, is there a way to turn off the auto create aux track feature when sending to a bus? Cheers again Rounik, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, [quote:3745]Incidentally, is there a way to turn off the auto create aux track feature when sending to a bus? [/quote] I don't think there is that option in Logic 8. From my understanding this is because a Bus acts a virtual cable to feed an Auxiliary track. But, I've just found that you can indeed delete the corresponding Aux in the Environment layer and the Bus input to the audio track still works fine :)
  • Cajypiu
    Hey Rounik, Yeah, I didn't used to use aux tracks a great deal in older versions of Logic, I only used the bus itself. Unless you were stemming, or parallel processing or something like that, just have the bus as the side chain or 'virtual artery' was suffice.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: