macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic to Pro Tools
    Hi jobkey Welcome to the forums :-) File > export > export all tracks as audio files is great IF you don't want to render your volume & pan automation ;-) Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, cheers for the input. Out of interest, I experimented with a few options with the export all tracks as audio. Dummy region or not, when I exported out all the tracks as audio using the export all tracks as audio feature, all of the audio files started at 1 1 1 1. CAF files, recorded audio, software instruments.. all the same. I'm not complaining, that's good! Version 7 didn't used to do it without putting dummy regions in... unless I was doing something odd which is highly possible! I like that bus option though Rounik. I hadn't thought of that :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey John, Sorry mate, when you say that using Export all tracks as audio makes all tracks start at 1 1 1 1. Do you mean the tracks are rendered to audio as they should be (e.g. kick region starts at 9 1 1 1 and when you export it there are 8 bars of silence and then the kick starts)? Yeah the bus options I'd normally use for mixing to stems... but I wish there an easy way to setup this method i.e. assign next bus to the send of each track rather than having to do so manually. :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jobkey, Thanks for sharing your workflow!! :) Yes, it's a very good point about usually not needing to mix/automate the tracks before sending to Pro Tools for Mixing... I have a very similar workflow, except I just solo the regions by selecting the track header (all regions within the cycle area on that track are automatically selected) press Option-Cmd-B for bounce and when done hit the down arrow... But, I love the Solo lock... It's set as Option-S for me. But, I've never really used it before. I will now. Thanks! Unfortunately, for John (Yadj) he has over 150 tracks to do, so hopefully Export all tracks as audio will work fine. Oh, btw, your English is great Jobkey! Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, yeah the solo lock I only just got round to using too. Super handy! To clarify though Rounik, yes... when exporting all tracks as audio.... I now get a bounced rendered audio file that starts at 1 1 1 1 even though the region started at say, 16 1 1 1 so there is 16 bars of silence at the start of the audio file. Getting all of the bounced audio files to start at 1 1 1 1 is the key to allow it to align easily in Pro Tools... and was something that I was either doing wrong or choosing the wrong export option in earlier versions. Yeah, they need a option when you select multiple channels, and you want to assign bus sends to them, that it should prompt you for ascending or use the one bus or something. It also turns out that we now have a track number bump to 192 and now they want seperate bounces for with and without effects. Hurrah.
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:3745] It also turns out that we now have a track number bump to 192 and now they want seperate bounces for with and without effects. Hurrah. [/quote] Ouch... I think you should get the PT Engineer into Logic. If anyone can do it, it's YOU! :) Actually, I remember seeing some info on a different forum where lots of experienced pro's were discussing & comparing the audio engines of PT and Logic respectively. It turned out that most decided that Logic sounded better than PT...
  • Cajypiu
    As it happens, I just found out they do have Logic... but version 7.2 I think it is. You used to be able to save projects as older versions but I'm guessing the jump to Logic 8 was too big a change to be able to recode the projects to be compatible with older versions. Ho hum.... exporting we shall go. Yeah I've read a bit about this too... but the thing that cropped up was that TDM rigs are different to LE rigs. TDM offers 48bit fixed point internal processing compared to Logic, and Pro Tools LE's, 32bit floating point. You'd like to think that there shouldn't be any difference with a piece of software logging 1's and 0's but apparently there is! I still personally prefer Logic. It's ultimate flexibility is both it's allure and headache sometimes... but, once you get over the learning curve, you can do what you like with it!
  • Cajypiu
    Plus, combine that with workflow fundamentals, tried and tested recording techniques, good converters, hardware/ plugins, monitoring... treated room.... dithering... mastering... cross your fingers, clip your toe nails and hey nonny no.... you have something people will either subjectively like or dislike irrespective of what equipment you used!
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jobkey, I do agree actually. It's not just in audio apps either that they need to raise their game. Final Cut is getting seriously behind Premiere now as well. It seems that Apple have been really focused on developing the iPhone (which nobody can deny is a great phone AND platform) and other consumer products such as iPods and mobileme... to the point that OS releases have been put back to make way for the loss in development team resources. I'm hoping that they are going to focus on the pro apps this year. Snow Leopard has the potential to make a big difference in resource optimisation... and I'm also hoping that the Pro app updates will be released in line to take advantage of the new refined OS. I just hope they don't force you to buy more hardware to run the new apps and OS! I've just got my Mac Pro how I like it and it's plenty quick for me.... just give me more features!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: